1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot load ANY programs, after registery was changed

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by ssj4_2004, Feb 9, 2007.

1. ssj4_2004

ssj4_2004 Member

Okay, earlier today I installed googletalk. And, I didn't restart my computer after the installation, I left it on for A couple for a couple hours shortly afterwards. Which caused it to go into hibernaion.

So, I awoke it from hibernation, only to find out that XBCD had frozen up. A common glitch that has always happened after awakining from hibernation. So, I had to turn off the computer to restart it.

After the reboot, Adaware Pro started up, and said that A program was trying to edit registry. I assumed it was talking about Googletalk. And allowed it.

But right afterwards adaware stopped responding, and i could not launch any programs. it says that windows doesn't know how to launch .ilk files. (my icons) and gives me A list of programs I can tryto use. Some of these programs work (firefox) but clicking on standard .exe files does NOTHING.

Is there anything I can do apart from trying to re-install windows? or is that my best option? are there any online virus scanners that support firefox? all of the scanners i've tried tell me to use IE, which does not load.

Any help would be great

2. onya

onya Guest

Have you tried a system restore? Go back, well before that incident. You may have to reboot in safe mode(after restore) and run Adaware, it should deal with the culprit. Good luck.

3. ssj4_2004

ssj4_2004 Member

I did try that. But it was the same as all of the other programs, and wouldn't load. I just ended up formatting my drive and re-installing windows. I just got my computer up and running. Scanned for viruses, with AVG, and nothing showed up. So, I'm good to go

Thank-You for taking time out to respond though :)

4. onya

onya Guest

No probs at all, good luck.

Cheers.