1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot remove temp files

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by Marksteps, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Marksteps

Marksteps Newbie

My box came with everything installed so I never added anything on. The temp files are already at 4.2gb I plugged the mouse in to right click and delete temp files but nothing happens... How can I improve this? I already deleted the Facebook and Skype app to give me more room. Also kodi always does the first boot set up...why would that be?

2. piopat

piopat Active member

some times kodi does a first run setup , i can only assume its a glitch .

chances are that if you are really only using kodi that that is taking up the most space on your box .

there are a few things you can do to clear memory space

1/ clear kodis cache

2/ install clean master from google playstore and that will get rid of some unneeded files

3/ uninstall kodi and then re install kodi and only install the addons that you use most , also when you have done this you make a backup copy of kodi . the reason for this is that its always good to have a backup , but also a new install of kodi with addons newly installed will always be far smaller and take up far less memory space . so for example you current kodi file could be 2.5gb in size where as you could reinstall kodi / pop in your favorite addons and then makea backup copy that may be only say 1.5gb in size , that will have freed up a whole gb of memory . considering most boxes only have about 6 gb in total freeing up 1gb is very good .

option 1 clearing kodi cache is the easiest . now there are different types of android boxes and they look different and the menu layout can be different , but the main principals usually remain allmost the same . you should have a sort of main menu with lots of android apps on it such as facebook / skype / google etc etc , in that list of apps you should have one that says settings or settingsmbox (or similar ) .

find that app and open it . if its mbox settings then the app should be the same as on my box . when i open settingsmbox i see NETWORK . this is the menu wher i can choose to connect to the net via wifi or ethernet . if you have this app you will see NETWORK /DISPLAY / ADVANCED / OTHER

select OTHER , now press the down button on your remote and go down to MORE SETTINGS and then press ok button .

now on the left side of screen you will see lots of options , use your down button to go down to APPS , there should then be a lot of apps displayed on the right side of the screen , but if not just press ok button when you are on apps . now press the right button on your remote and you should have highlighted an app , use your up/down buttons to go to KODI . with kodi highlighted in blue press ok button . now you should see how many gbs of data kodi has used up and also how many mbs or gbs the cache has used up .

now press the right button on your remote and one of the options on the right side of screen should be highlighted in blue , use your up/down button to go to and highlight CLEAR CACHE , when its highlighted press the ok button . all being well what ever amount of mbs or gbs was on the cache after you have cleared the cache it should then say 12.00kb , thats the lowest the number ever goes . you can clear the cache on any apps you use the same way , it may not clear a huge amount of memory space up but hey even if its only a quarter of a gb or a half of a gb its good as any memory you can free up is good .

if you dont have settingsmbox but you just have SETTINGS app open that app

on the left side of screen you will see lots of options , use your down button to go down to APPS , there should then be a lot of apps displayed on the right side of the screen , but if not just press ok button when you are on apps . now press the right button on your remote and you should have highlighted an app , use your up/down buttons to go to KODI . with kodi highlighted in blue press ok button . now you should see how many gbs of data kodi has used up and also how many mbs or gbs the cache has used up .

now press the right button on your remote and one of the options on the right side of screen should be highlighted in blue , use your up/down button to go to and highlight CLEAR CACHE , when its highlighted press the ok button . all being well what ever amount of mbs or gbs was on the cache after you have cleared the cache it should then say 12.00kb , thats the lowest the number ever goes .

above where it says clear cache it also says CLEAR DATA , now data is everything pretty much in your kodi , so if you clear data it will clear up a good bit of memory space but what it does is it empties kodi so that its kodi but with no addons in it . so you could (but only if you are certain and only if you want to start again and install your own addons ) clear data cache , then you can install just the addons you want and you will have cleared a lot of space . but kodi will always get bigger and take up more memory so thats why as soon as you have installed the addons you want that you make a backup copy of kodi . then in 6 months or a year if kodi is getting big again you could clear the data again and then install your backup copy which will be far smaller in size .

so try clearing your cache first and see how much memory you have cleared , dont clear the data cache unless you want to start from scratch .

after that you can install clean master app from google play store , that erases lots of unneeded hidden files from the box , usually for me it clears about on average about 3 quarters of a gb of space but it varies depending on how full the box is .

Alyem likes this.