1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot restore my hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mcdawn, Jun 28, 2007.

1. mcdawn

mcdawn Member

In trying to format my hard drive i am getting the message; cannot format this drive quit any disc utilities or other prog using this drive and make sure no window is displaying the content of this drive. I have closed everthing but still get the same message. I want to start my laptop from afresh due to problems i had.

Any help will be great, thanks :)

Dawn

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

what method are you using? you can't format your main partition/hard disk while windows is fired up. you need to boot from a windows disc or pull the hard drive and stick it in another machine to format it.

3. mcdawn

mcdawn Member

i do not have a windows disc. i did not receive one when i bought my laptop from dell. how would i get one?

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

they should have sent you recovery discs. you need to either get them from dell, or get your windows key off the sticker on your pc case and acquire a windows disc whose verson matches that key, i.e. windows xp pro, home, sp1, sp2, etc etc.

5. JVC

JVC Active member

You didn't get a system restore disc? If you did, Windows will be included on it. If you didn't, I'd be calling Dell.

A local computer store may make you a copy of Windows, for about $10, if you have the Windows sticker on the computer, to prove it's a legal copy of Windows installed. It wouldn't have all the Dell extras on it. You can't use anybody else's restore disc either, unless they have the exact same computer. Restore discs are model specific.
    Good luck!

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum.
    does it give you the option of system recovery by pressing f12 or something like that at post screen.

7. mcdawn

mcdawn Member

I have contacted dell and they are swnding my out a system restore disc. Thanks for all your help folks :)