1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot see files on DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Thira, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Thira

Thira Member

There are two separate things I need to accomplish.
    First, looking at tutorials, I was trying see the files on a DVD. This is a DVD recorded from the televised 2003 College Ffootball National Cchampionship game in the USA. I wish to copy this on a Sony DRU-510A using Nero 6. When I copy the disk, the program does not read the files. I also do not see the files on the DVD when I look in Windows Explorer. How do I find the files? Can someone direct me to info how to copy this DVD? I wish to do this on a blank DVD-R.
    Thanks
    Secondly, I am ready to build a computer and I want to backup files and Data to a DVD+RW disk. Can I use Nero 6 to do this?
    Where do I find a tutorial on how to do this?
    Thanks again. Sorry about the newbie questions, but one has to crawl before they can walk.

2. Thira

Thira Member

I found the tutorial here on this site. I am trying DVD Decrypter to copy the football game. One concern, the program says my system does not support files > 4 GB. So what gives? Will I be able to copy? I am using Win98SE as an OS, soon to be WinXP Pro.

3. Thira

Thira Member

96% into extracting on DVD Decrypter, I received an I/O error. Interpretation:
    SRB completed with error
    Host adaptor did not detect an error
    Check Condition
    Read (10)- Sector 2224272
    No Seek Complete

4. malum

malum Regular member

You cannot use more than 4GB as that is the limit for file size on FAT32.
    when you get XP you will be able to use larger files as long as the drive is formatted as NTFS.

The 96% error is probably due to the fact that this is where the file you are trying to copy gets to 4GB and win98 can't cope.

Set decrypter up in file mode if you haven't already and have it split on 1GB (in the settings)

5. malum

malum Regular member

second question:

Yes it's exactly the same as using a large CDRW

6. Thira

Thira Member

Thanks Malum...I am just getting started with DVD's and taking a few bumps on the learning curve

7. Thira

Thira Member

I could successfully write the files from the DVD, but I cannot find a file .dvd on the hard drive so that I can burn to a DVD-R. As per the tutorial.
    17 files were copied ending in .bup, .ifo, and .vob. This is not a DVD purchased in a store. I think the DVD was recorded from TV, either directly or converted from VHS.
    Thanks

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thira,

There you have everything you need.

Place all those files in a folder named VIDEO_TS (written like that) and go into Nero Classic and burn the folder to your DVD :)

Pete

9. Thira

Thira Member

With Nero do I use DVD-video, DVD-ROM, or DVD-ROM(UDF?ISO)?
    I am a bit confused as the tutorial on the newbie topics on burning DVD to DVD-r, I am using DVD Decrypter to write to the hard drive and burn.
    Is the reason I don't see a .DVD file is the type of DVD I wrote from?
    Sorry to ask so many questions, I just want to learn this better.
    Thanks

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thira,

Let's go from the last to the first - DVD DeCrypter should only be used for DVD-5 movies (< 4.36GB). Malum already explained to you the limitations of DVD Decrypter. I suggest that you download DVDShrink (Freeware) and a guide for it (links below). DVDShrink is especially designed to handle DVD-9 media (>4.36GB). It can rip it (a different kind of rip than Decrypter), it has the ability to allow you to edit it, if you wish, it can compress the files to make to fit a single DVD and, with Nero 6, it can automatically burn your files to your DVD disc. Tell me now, ain't life grand ??

The files you want to see are .ifo .bup and .vob's - these are the file types that give you a DVD.

Here it is in step by step form :) ~
    First, create a folder for your work on your desktop - load your files there - make sure they are in a folder named VIDEO_TS written like that (all in Caps) - some programs like Shrink will make the properly named folder for you, others you must make the folder yourself - Nero needs that folder in order to work properly - then follow this
    Step by Step –
    Do not use Nero Wizard.
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose DVD. Directly under that click on the DVD Video Icon. Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the DVD Video window. In the left screen, click VIDEO_TS. In the File Browser screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the VIDEO_TS folder, the one you made in the beginning, holding your work and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “OK” and now ? “Burn you sweet thing, Burn Baby, Burn !” ” “Let me hear you say it, Who’s your Daddy Now ???”
    (Wheeew, now I need a cigarette)

Guess what my Friend ?? You are done !!!

STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER ! ! Keep all fingers and toes away from Ms. Computer. Never mess with the lady when she’s working – it would be hazardous to your health, you understand -
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done, she will let you know ;-))
    OK, time for you to crank it up and do your burn :)

Let us know how you make out -

Pete

11. Thira

Thira Member

ScubaPete, thanks for the spoon feeding. I actually did copy the DVD using Nero. And believe it or not it plays.
    The DVD I copied was indeed less than 4.36 GB, so I assume it was a DVD-5.
    Again my appreciation to taking the time to help me get started in the world of DVD burning. Hope I can return the favor one day!

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thira,

Scary isn't it, when things just fall into place :))

Remember now, your basic tool should be DVDShrink - you will use it for your DVD-5's and DVD-9's - you will use DVD Decrypter for those very rare occasions when Shrink can't rip a DVD and you need the brute force of Decrypter bust through it (then it's back to Shrink to process it).

You should be good to go :D

Huuummmm, just checking the thread - - and I see no one has welcomed you aboard -

Soooooo Thira, Welcome to the Neighborhood :))

Remember, we expect you back here to try to help others that's the way we make the wheel go 'round -

Bye for now,

Pete