1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot Select Menu Items When SVCD is created With Nero

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by thenoob, Sep 1, 2004.

1. thenoob

thenoob Member

I have created a couple svcds with menus using Nero but I need to have the movie set to automated after 10 sec because I cannot select my menu items with my theater or dvd remote.

Any ideas?

I know how in dvds the dvd places a cursor over the first menu item, but in my SVCD's, no cursor is shown, which I think could be the problem.

Help please?
    Thanks

*Movies play fine

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

For VCD and SVCD, you need to use the 1, 2, 3, etc buttons to navigate between the menu items.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

3. thenoob

thenoob Member

That makes me feel dumb :(

Thanks for the help!

4. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Not at all. Dumb is assigned to those who refuse to ask for assistance.

Such as when I'm driving in San Francisco. :)

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

5. JrGorg

JrGorg Member

Pardon me for jumping on this and making a tangent, but I've been totally out of luck finding answers...

But, is this the same reason why, on some of my commercial DVDs, I can't access some sub-menus? These are originals, not copies.

Examples would be the new Predator Collector DVD (disc 2), or Behind Enemy Lines (only 1 disc)... if I click on a menu item (like to view extras or other options) the menu remains looking like the Main menu... but clearly the "hotspots" are different. It's like trying to blindly access that second, lower level menu to select commentaries, behind the scences, etc. etc. I've got DVDs I've never been able to view some of the alternate material on because it refuses to refresh to the new menu.

This is on a PC DVD player - I imagine that's significant. : )

-Dan

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  6. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi JrGorg,

No, this is a completely different issue. The VCD and SVCD standard is not built for DVD Menu navigation.

Any DVD creation should properly support Menu Navigation. I have seen occasionally where a DVD Created will not work with the Directional Controls on a Remote to navigate the menu options. Some times it was due to the media used to create the disc, sometimes the DVD Player simply did not like the media used, other times it was the recorder.
    I've also seen this from an incomplete extraction of the video once when I used DVD Shrink and other tools like DVDdecryptor.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

7. JrGorg

JrGorg Member

I see, Thank you very much for responding Craig. I'll see if I can't track down some answers for this.

Nice forums here... very helpful.

: )

-Dan