1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cannot use ctrl+alt+del

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by delaluna, Oct 31, 2009.

1. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I've done it a few times so I know the process now, but even still the process is very straightforward. To answer your questions:

1)All you really have to do is click Next, select the Date and Time, and enter your Serial #. The time to reinstall is dependent on numerous factors. I just reinstalled my OS a few weeks ago and the process didn't take more than 30-45 minutes.

2)Reformatting the hard drive is part of the install process.

3)Since you never installed a Operating Systen (OS) yourself I feek its safe to assume you bought a PC at a store. A store bought PC has two possible ways to reinstall Windows. When you turn it on you may have a "Recovery Console" option or something similarly named that wehn selected will boot into a special enviroment that can be used to reinstall Windows. Or more commonly the company (HP,Dell,etc) may have included "Restoration Discs" that you boot the computer from/to that allow you to reinstall Windows. Both methods are pretty straightforward.

Backup all your data before doing anything. Reinstalling Windows may seem like a daunting task but it is actually quite manageable.

2. Is this the same thing as reformatting the hard drive?
    3. All I need is a copy of Windows XP, right?

Thanks!

2. delaluna

delaluna Member

Hi,

Thanks for your thorough explanation. I just called a technician friend of mine and he says that if I were to reinstall windows XP, I might encounter possible errors? He says that I wouldn't know which drivers to install, is this true?

Also, right now my computer has 2 drives. C drive and D drive. I install all my applications on C, and store data on D. When I re-install windows, will it wipe away all my D drive as well?

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

To answer those questions tell me do you have restore cd's? Or when you turn your computer on is there a "Windows XP" option and a "XP Recovry" (or similar recovery option) when booting?

4. delaluna

delaluna Member

Hi,

I don't have the restore CD right now. (Do you mean the Windows XP SP3 installation CD?)

"Or when you turn your computer on is there a "Windows XP" option and a "XP Recovry" (or similar recovery option) when booting?" Nope, when I turn on the computer, there is no XP Recovery, it goes straight to Windows XP screen.

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yes the installation CD. And since your boot process doesn't have the option of recovery then the XP installation CD will be what you use to reformat and reinstall.

As for drivers I can find those for you to make it easy. What is hte make and model of your pc? Example a (make) HP (model) v18z9 etc.

With the make and model I can find the drivers quickly and easily that match your pc.

6. delaluna

delaluna Member

Hi,

Forgive me but this is a very elementary question, how do I find the make the model of my computer?

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I'm assuming this is a store bought PC. I am right?

8. delaluna

delaluna Member

This computer was given to me as a gift from a friend. Yes it is store bought, but bought in China.

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I see. Alright do this

*Click on the Start Menu
    *Right Click "My Computer"
    *Right click "Properties"
    *In the window that opens up it should list who made your computer and the model #.

If their listed email them to me, if there not let me know.

10. delaluna

delaluna Member

Is this what you are looking for?

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

AMD Sempron(tm) Processor
    2800+
    1.60 GHz

11. delaluna

delaluna Member

Hi,

Just to let you know, I checked my start-up screen again and it appears there is a "XP Recovery" screen when booting.

12. delaluna

delaluna Member

Another thing I should let you know is this - earlier I tried scanning the computer again with SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition, the computer became funny and the blue screen appeared again. Do you think this is from a virus? Also, it won't give me a quarantined log.

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yes something is definetly wrong with the computer, is it a virus? I'm not sure it could be, it could also be that the lets say the cpu fan is broken so when you the antispyware programs run and put a heavy load on the cpu it causes it to overheat and shutdown.