1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

canon powershot. S5 IS

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by born2ride, Aug 25, 2007.

1. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

i was looking for all input on this camera. good, bad,likes,dislikes.ect
    all information is greatly appreciated. is it a good buy? how does it rank in it class? thanks

2. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

BAD
    It's got a really small sensor - especially for 8MP!
    Doesn't shoot in RAW.
    Can't take the lens off - ie. you can't have a range of lenses.
    I don't think you can use filters on the lens.

GOOD
    Good ISO range.
    Exposure bracketing - but you'll only get use out of this if you have a tripod.
    Manual mode - you have complete control! :D

Overall, I wouldn't get it. But it depends what you'll use it for. Are you wanting to do photography seriously? Or is it just for snapshots?

If it is for snapshots and to take photos on holiday, consider getting it. If you want to do photography properly I'd suggest an SLR.

Also, if you do decide to get it, go to your local camera shop and ask to play about with it. Make sure it feels comfortable in your hands. Ask yourself questions such as: Will this last as long as I want it? Does the battery last long enough? Is the image quality good enough? Do you need any other equipment? etc.

Remember - Just because it is 8MP it doesn't mean it is good. The sensor is really small, so you're forcing a lot more detail into one area. Therefore your photos will be really noisy...

If you decide to look at SLRs you can't max out your budget on the body - you should be prepared to pay more on lenses than the body.

3. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

thecraigc
    thanks for the input. you stated it does not shoot in the RAW. the last camera i owned was a disposable.. lol. so i am lost with some terminology.
    i will be using it mainly for photographing my family, sports, ebay pics but nothing professional.
    what about the small sensor? and noisy pictures? not clear or distorted you mean?
    thanks mike

4. riley804

riley804 Member

5. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

any other camera advise or ones to look will be greatly appreciated. my biggest thing is to have a camera that will shoot as fast as me.. but not to break the bank!!!!!!!

6. riley804

riley804 Member

Use the site that I gave you the link for and start reading reviews and then start making a list of cameras that you are interested in and then make a decision.

7. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

riley804
    i have been over that site. i don t know what range of money i need to be in. don t want to over or under spend. i was kind of looking for hands on with camera. what people own and prefer.

8. riley804

riley804 Member

what is your budget for this new camera ?

9. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

riley804
    i have a 400 credit with circuit city or best but cant remember which one. have to find card

10. riley804

riley804 Member

If I were you , I would do more research on cameras, or go into the store that you have the credit for and see what they recommend. Let them know what you plan on using the camera for and your price range.

For the most part, todays cameras will do what you are wanting to do with it and will be better than the previous camera you had.

11. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

i am looking at the nikon D40x now . can some one give me pros and cons..
    i did look at some review but would like some good honest opinions

12. riley804

riley804 Member

I take it that you read this review :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40X/

If you decide to get this camera, I highly suggest that you sit down and read the manual that comes with it as its a little more advanced then your Point and Shoot cameras. With this one, you will have to now factor in Shutter Speed, ISO Setting, and Aperture.

13. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

yes that is the first place i went, most of it is confusing. i am trying to reseach all but when you dont know a thing about camera its tough...

then when you say "you will have to now factor in Shutter Speed, ISO Setting, and Aperture. "
    now iam real lost.. maybe back to point and shoot..lol

14. riley804

riley804 Member

you have two options :

1) either start doing some research on the things that I mentioned so you have a better understanding when it comes time to use the camera because if you dont, you will get frustrated.

2) buy a point and shoot camera and be done with it.