1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon XL1s - NTSC or PAL?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by aviceda, Apr 23, 2004.

1. aviceda

aviceda Member

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a Canon XL1S camera for wildlife video but there is an enormous difference in the price if purchased in the US opposed to Australia ($2-3000). I am aware that the US version is NTSC and the OZ one is PAL but I'm not sure how this would affect output. I would be hoping to use the results on DVD, CD and Web rather than TV so if anyone could give me advice or point me in the direction of discussion I would be very grateful.

Tom

2. paparatzo

paparatzo Guest

the high-end programmes can change from pal to ntsc but it never looks right. just think of watching amarican shows in australia, they dont look right. the colour is muddy and the edges are lumpy. look at prices in singapore or elseware in aisa, it will be pal and a trip to bali is cheeper than a trip to ameryka.

for a wildlife video im assuming your wanting the best possible picture quality, for that get the PAL. if it were for the web, not dvd also, id suggest the ntsc--tho the last video camera i got from there was a DUD![sony ruvi]

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The NTSC format is not as good as the PAL, but it really doesnt have much affect on the price. The reason for the prices is that Americans are lucky bastards (and bitches) and get their prices at ridiculous ones, compared to the rest of the world....

Converting from PAL to NTSC cna be messy...

4. kirkeric

kirkeric Member

I just purchased the Canon XL1S. Great camera and you can get one under $3K on Ebay if you have the patience for that. I battled over PAL vs NTSC. We live here in US, it is best to get NTSC. If you do a google seach on differences between the two, you will find it not significant, however, to go from one to other would not be acceptable.
    Eric

5. aviceda

aviceda Member

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.....by the time I can afford an XL1S there will probably be a better alternative, any news on the XL2?

Tom

6. ZombyHero

ZombyHero Member

I just think the distinction needs to be made that PAL video will NOT play on NTSC monitors/televisions and NTSC video will NOT play on PAL monitors/televisions. So if you're living in a country that uses PAL as the broadcast standard, go with the PAL, and vice verse for NTSC. Getting a PAL camera in America is a pretty dumb thing to do, IMO.