1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't add srt subs to mkv file, advice needed

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by rogue20, Mar 20, 2009.

1. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Hi, sorry to post again but i'm new to adding subs, i've read all the guides about adding subs to mkv video files using mkvmerge etc but they don't show when i play the video.

The srt file and mkv file work when there played in the same folder and named correctly, the srt files show as notepad files, not sure if that is relevent, any help would be much appreciated.

Also the original english subs files i downloaded with the film were all in strange characters and symbols, so i finnally found a perfect set else where, thanks for your time.

Read this basic guide and links: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic348985.html

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  2. attar

attar Senior member

The subtitles you have (if they are .srt) can be opened and edited in Notepad.

To add .srt subtitles to an existing .mkv file, run MKVMerge.
    Add/drag the .mkv then the .srt file onto the top pane.

The centre pane shows the streams which will be muxed.
    (The original MKV video/audio component plus the new subtitles)

The output is given a new name and saved.

The output file can be tested with the likes of VLC media player and the subs selected under the 'Video' tab.

[​IMG]

3. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Thanks, works great with VLC player, guess my old favourite, media player clasic and windows media player have some issue with mkv files.

Not had much luck lately so thanks again, will keep VLC as my new default player, it use to be my favourite player some years ago, havin't checked out many new media players for some time.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Okey-dokey.