1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant boot up pc

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gymrat, Sep 7, 2004.

1. gymrat

gymrat Member

can anyone help..i have just installed SP2 on the pc then i restarted it as instructed now it wont boot up at all.
    i get to the scren where displays windows xp then it makes 1 beep noise then goes to the black screen asking me what do i want to do..i have clicked start windows normally..clicked start last know configeration that workes..and also safe mode and none of them work.
    what can i do to get this SP2 off my pc without getting into windows?

Thanks in advance.

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Hi gymrat,

I don't know if you can remove it.
    That's exactly the same thing that happened to my neighbours computer.
    We couldn't do anything with it so we phoned the shop where he got it from and they told him the only way out was to re-install Windows XP from scratch.
    He was not very happy as he lost all his music files that he had composed himself.
    The following week, Windows update downloaded SP2 to his computer automatically and it happened again.
    He's still swearing now..!

3. gymrat

gymrat Member

ok i was afraid of sombody telling me that.

thanks for the reply anyway im off to slit my wrists now :)

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I read somewhere that SP2 lets you save your old settings. That way you can go back to SP1 if needed. If you can't get to the system to do it, then I guess its back to the new install again. My auto update came on today with SP2 but I have it set so it won't auto install. Needless to say Its not getting installed.

Jerry
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  5. CJC

CJC Regular member

You should be able to boot into safe mode by pressing F5 when the comptuer is starting up.

Once in safe mode, go into Control Panel, add/remove, then remove SP2, restart and it should return back to normal.

CJC