1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant Burn 5+ Hours Video Under 4 Gigs In Size (HELP!)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gigem4me, May 22, 2003.

1. gigem4me

gigem4me Member

Okay,
    I am trying to back up stuff that i have in vcd format already that spans 100+ discs on cd-rs.

So I want to put it on dvd with the menu and chapter selection all of that.

I went to school where they have dvd-r burners and I have the material im backing up that is around 4 gigs, but when i add the files it starts telling me that it would be 18gigs in size on a dvd-r.

My files are in mpg2 (i think) whatetever mpg is vcd format. I can plop my discs in dvd players and they play but only 3 eps to a disc.
    I should be able to get 18 eps or so on a disc each one being 20 mins, but the dvd-burning software was acting like it would make me only be able to fit 2hours of video which would be like 6 eps and not worth it at all!!!!

I was wondering how do you burn 4,5,6 hours of stuff that is under 4.7 gigs in size on a dvd-r when it friggin blows it up based on the length of the movie and stuff? HELP!!!!

I havnt been able to find anything about this online everyone is just talking about copying movies.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

VCD is mpeg 1

SVCD is mpeg 2

As far as I know : )

3. gigem4me

gigem4me Member

that isnt really the question i came on here looking for, i can burn a dvd and make it work
    but i can only fit 2 hours of episodes on the disc so around 5 or 6, and that is like 2 cd-rs to me now, when i take the 4 gigs of eps and put it in the dvd program it says its gonna be 18gigs in size on disc cuz its burning by length of eps, i want to be able to burn a dvd-r based on size alone now length of tv shows...
    so if i found for example every seinfeld for season 1 and it fit on 1 cd-r then i should be able to fit that on a dvd since a cd-r is only 700megs, and dvd is 4+ gigs, but it wouldnt fit in my current circumstance because i dont know how to burn things onto dvd-r's so length of video doesnt matter only the size of video?
    does anyone have any suggestions that could help me out on this????

4. herbsman

It's because the mpeg files are gonna be re-encoded !!

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

From my experience with mydvd (sonics)

Any mpeg (vcd compliant) will be more than double than the original, the audio is transcoded - AND THIS INCREASES FILE SIZE.

I have not found a way of overcoming the problem yet - sorry.

This is just my opinion from my own experience...

6. dustyb

dustyb Guest

im new to this but if your dvd player supports mpeg 1 and 2 and u have the mpegs just rename them in sequence ie AVSEQ01 AVSEQ02 and burn them to dvdrw as a data file with nero.
    i have done this with a few films and it worked ok on dvdrw but not on dvdr

7. gigem4me

gigem4me Member

darn that is what i figured it was doing
    since it was like 4 times bigger in size =o(
    there is no way i can afford to do this with dvd-rw

i am wanting to convert my personal collection of simpsons which
    is 100+ cdrs (there are alot of simpsons)

dangit there has to be some spiffy way to get around this........
    is there away to burn in vcd or s-vcd format on a dvd-r then maybe if it is re-encoding stuff
    since all my files are in vcd format and on cd-r
    if i could just take them how they are and plop them on a dvd-r and burn dvd-r in vcd format would that like work?

i bet since i can burn my cd-r's as data cds and they still play in dvd player i could do that for dvd-r's BUT I DONT WANT THAT
    because i have no menus on these cds
    i want to add menus with MINIMUM 1 background with names of eps to select
    and chapters if there is a GOD and he wants me to have amazing dvd's.

so anyone have any suggestions on this
    now im thinking im going to go try to burn a vcd in nero with my dvd-r?
    that is the best i can come up with
    any other suggestions? or comments of this working or not?

8. saucysan

saucysan Guest

DVD's burning is not my forte but (just ignore me if this sounds like crap)wouldn't you have had to encode the original file into a VCD (mpeg 1) to burn onto a cdr. Now you want to make them into DVD's wouldn't you have to re-encode the file to m2v (dvd file)????

[bold]I just did a search and found this guide for converting VCD to DVD [/bold] http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/159399.php

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2003
  9. herbsman

DVD Architect will let you add a menu (w/ music) & chapters !!
    This is what I use..