1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't burn any DVDs with Nero 7 (power calibration error)

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Benelot, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Benelot

Benelot Member

Hi.

I've been searching and reading through a lot of threads for over an hour now, I have tried different things to solve the problem, but sadly, I haven't found anything that really did solve the problem...

I've been burning DVDs for over a year now, and never had a problem. But since a few weeks, I can't burn any more DVDs... I get the Power Calibration Error...

Can someone please help me? I would be very grateful cause this problem is kind of frustrating!!

Here's my log:

By the way, I use TDK DVDs, and also tried Sunstar, but it didn't make any difference...

2. whompus

whompus Active member

3. duggie

duggie Member

Also you have very little free momory (22 Meg). Shut down some apps

4. Benelot

Benelot Member

Hi,

i'm sorry whompus, but the link you gave me does net exist anymore...

I went to this link, instead: http://support.necsam.com/optical/downloads//FlashFirmware/

and chose ND-1100A.

That's my drive, right? Cause, when I'm trying to install the Firmware update, it doesn't work... I did just like the instruction says, but my drive wasn't found...

Can you help me?

5. whompus

whompus Active member

Yeah thats the one. It may not be working because you have it set as slave. It should be master for optimum performance. Also make sure you dont have intel application accelorator running at time of flash.

6. Benelot

Benelot Member

Yes, it is configured as slave.

How can i configure it as Master?

Intel application accelorator is not running at time of flash

thx for your help

7. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

this might be some help to all you guys out there which are having problems with this power calibration error.what i know is that the cd burning engine which comes with xp was developed by adaptec (i might be wrong so please dont hold me to it).so heres what to do and most of your problems hopefully will be solved.this is the easiest way to tell everyone.

1 on desktop click start
    2 select control panel
    3 click on administrative tools
    4 click on services
    5 browse your way down to IMAPI CD BURNING COM SERVICE
    6 right click (on IMAPI) then select properties
    7 in the middle of the window it will say start up type.click on the arrow to the right and select disabled.
    8 make sure you click APPLY

8. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

TDK and the other media you listed is not a good choice of media if you are having burning problems. Use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden to eliminate media as the culprit. Power calibration errors are usually either firmware out of date, or poor media.
    Also that 22mb of memory is not enough and you need to shut down everything not needed for burning.
    Nero's response to that error:
    Try different media after firmware update and you will probably not have to do the last suggestion from Nero.

9. Benelot

Benelot Member

@jizmak: I already tried that, didn't help... :(

@MaxBurn: The DVDs I use are the same I used for about 2 years now... So I don't think that this might be the problem...
    The firmware update does not find my drive... And I do not know how to set it as Master...

Anyone knows how to configure it as master?

Thx to all

10. whompus

whompus Active member

To configure it as master. You will have to take it out of the computer to access the back of the drive. There you will see jumper and it will have markings on it. MA = master CS = cable select and SL = slave. You will have to set the other drive as slave if you change this drive to master. You may even need to change where they go back into the case to make the cable conect right. The end connection on the cable is for master and the middle is for slave.

11. FireKat

FireKat Guest

This is true for most drives, but some don't have the markings by the jumpers. If the markings are not on the back by the jumper(s), then look on the top of the drive (some have it on the label instead).

You will have to make sure to set the jumper on your dvd-rom (HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B) to slave as well. You can only have 1 master per ide channel.

_NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A (This one will become master, and needs to be above the other dvd drive in the case.)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2006
  12. Benelot

Benelot Member

Hi again,

I've now set my drive as Master (it was actually pretty simple :), thx for your help), but the firmware update still does not find the drive...

As instructed on the firmware site, I disabled my slave drive...

Anyone knows what might be wrong?? Or is there an other possibility to get the firmware update?

13. FireKat

FireKat Guest

Did you make sure to follow this step?

14. Benelot

Benelot Member

Yes, I did... Yesterday, I wrote an e-mail to their support team, maybe they can help me...

15. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

@Benelot
    Because your firmware was so far behind, you may have to go with the oldest version you can find and try to get that to take before you go to the latest. I call it the progressive firmware update method..
    Now looking at the firmware site i see 1.90 listed as the oldest one here:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=301
    I would try to get that one to take, and if it does, try the latest 1.93. If the latest version still wont take, keep going up a revision at a time until you do get there. I had to do that with my liteon drive. It didnt recoginze the drive when i tried to go with the most current version. Went to the oldest version listed (which was still ahead of my burners version) and it took. Then went to the most current, and it recoginzed the drive and took. Its worth a try. Even the 1.90 may not work as it is 10 versions ahead of your 1.80 if they did a revision for each number increase.

16. Benelot

Benelot Member

Unfortunately, the links to the older drivers do not exist...

I don't know what to do, I've been searching for hours to find drivers that work, and none of them do...

I think I'm gonna buy a new DVD burner... Any suggestions?

17. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

You are correct. I saw those links, but never clicked on them. They are dead. Im at work, so im going to have to look for those old firmware versions when i get home.

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

you might call NEC tech support to see if they can help

good burners to buy...Plextor PX-716A (top burner on the market)

Lite-On ,BenQ ,LG ,Sony and NEC are good burners also,you might consider upgrading to more memory too

19. Benelot

Benelot Member

Hey MaxBurn, haven't you found yet links that work? Cause if I don't find a firmware upgrade, I'll have to buy a new burner...

thx for your help

20. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006