1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant Burn At 4x

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by slamcyl, Aug 6, 2007.

1. slamcyl

slamcyl Member

hi guys im having troubles right now....im burning some dvd backups but one of my dvd writers just died..it was a liteon SOHW-1633S and i have another one which is a liteon SHW-160P6S with the 1st one i was able to burn at 4x but with the second one i cant burn at 4x the minimum speed is 6x.....i already flashed my dvd writer from version PS08 to PS0B and its still the same.......minimum speed for burning is 6x help !!!!!

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

In order to write at 4X with a particular MID code, the drive has to have a write strategy in its memory for that particular speed. If the change from PS08 to PS0B did not add a strategy for 4X, you will be limited to the speeds allowed by the drive firmware engineers. They are writing only the minimum required these days because drive prices are too low to allow the extra work involved.

Since all single layer media being produced these days are rated at 16X speeds, writing at 6X or 8X should produce sufficient quality. The diodes in the SHW-160P6S are sturdier than the ones in the SOHW-1633S; so there should be no reduction in quality at 8X speeds.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

JoeRyan, I'm kinda wondering how long the PX-716As i have will hold up (about 2000 plus burns)lol . talking quality drives

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

According to the experiences of a test lab, your drive has expended approximately one tenth of its life. 20,000 "burns," that is, complete recordings of a single layer disc, is the average for the drives they record until they drop.

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

and thats why they were worth every penny at 129.00 each