1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant Burn DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by markc, Jan 21, 2004.

1. markc

markc Member

I have and NEC 1300a DVD writer and it copys the normal 700mb disks great. When i try to burn to a DVD disk it tells me that the disk is "write-protected" or its "illgal medium". I dont know much about DVDs but i can shrink a film down to 650md and put it onto a 700mb disk and play it great in my DVD player. why not onto a DVD disk.

2. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Hi markc, firstly what program are you using to burn, and secondly which option are you going through.

It sounds like you're trying to do a s/vcd using a dvd as a medium.

I know in nero 6 whatever (who can keep up, honestly) under dvd there is an option for data dvd or movie dvd.

But i don't understand why you'd want to do it anyway, it's obviously not a dvd movie or the compression rate would be through the roof, thus the picture quality would be shite.

Dvds for dvds. Grab dvd shrink and check that out. You might want to post again with a bit more info next time, not really sure what you're trying to do, or why...

Cheers,
    Bailey

3. markc

markc Member

I`m using Nero Express and DVD Shrink. The film i want to copy is already a copy. I know if i shrink the film too much it will be crap (i was a little surprised how good it came out though),but i just wanted to see if it would. I have tried to copy a DVD image file to my PC but i dont have that much space and even when i shrink the film and make an image with Nero Express it still wont go onto a blank DVD disk.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

We need you to give us a clue as to what you have and what you wish to do -

You say
    but then you say,
    If in fact it is a copy then, it's not write-protected.

If your disc is really a copy just use Nero in the Wizard mode, Copy DVD "on the fly" -

You say you copy a "normal 700MB disk - that would be a CD. Again, what type of files do you have ? Vob's, MPEG's, AVI's ??

You state,
    What type of “image” are you referring too ? How much free space do you have on your PC?? If you are using DVDShrink, what version ? Give us some info and we can find out why isn’t it going on a DVD.

"P"