1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant Burn DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by blueadept, Mar 26, 2007.

1. blueadept

blueadept Member

I'm a newbie so if I'm in the wrong forum, please redirect me.

I've been fighting this problem for 4 months.

Until then, I had been able to burn DVDs using either Nero (which came with my IOMagic external DVD) and Deepburner. Suddenly, it stopped working after I loaded Norton Save and Restore.

I have worked with Symantec (Chat), Nero (e-mails), Gateway(Chats - maker of my e-machine), IOMagic (chats), Radified (forum), and some others I don't even remember.

IOMagic even thought it might be the hardware and kindly replaced my unit.

Problem is basically described as shown in Deepburner:

and in Nero as:
    The DVD unit is external and uses USB:

I have tried writing from directly connected drives (C:\) and USB connected drives.

I have tried burning at 16X, 8X and 4X.

I had added/updated Adaptec ASPI.
    I have:
    Unloaded any Roxio products using RoxioZapper

Unloaded Nero using:
    CleanTool
    DriverClean
    InCD-CleanTool
    Reinstalled Nero

[At this moment Nero is unloaded]

Un-installed and re-installed:
    The drivers for the burner
    The Primary IDE controller to enable DMA.

One of the "Chats" recommended instaling 'Intel Acellerator'. This Hide/Deleted/ ? the Advanced Tab on my Primary/Secondary Controllers
    --> Properties in Device management (that was no fun at all as the advice I got was to reload the OS. Lucky, I found the solution with Google after a heart-attack couple of days).

I think I have done just about everything anyone has written about on the net.

Please H E L P !!!!

2. krkm120

krkm120 Regular member

maybe i missed it in your post are you burning anything different then what you where before?

3. blueadept

blueadept Member

No ... I am trying to burn regular files .txt, .zip, etc. Nothing like audio or video.

Lately, I have been using 1 test file that I had burned successfully last year. It is a .zip file about 250b. Using Deepburner, it get to about 10% to 15% and then blows up (again and again).

Right now, I'm using Deepburner rather than Nero because it load faster when I keep testing , but Nero does the same.

I looked at the Nero log and sent it to Nero to analyze. They have not been able to suggest anything that will work.

As you can see, I have tried everything I could find on the net without success.

4. krkm120

krkm120 Regular member

i'm sorry i've never had or heard of this problem maybe buy a new burner or reinstall your OS

5. blueadept

blueadept Member

IOMagic thought it might be the burner and so they replaced it for me (so I am using a new burner).

6. krkm120

krkm120 Regular member

reinstall your OS maybe

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@blueadept

I don't know if this is the problem, but as you state it started after you installed. Can you restore back to before this install? Did you buy this program because system restore didn't work? Mine didn't either until I read about NIS (Norton Internet Security). This is the cause if you have it installed. If you disable NIS temporarily it will allow you to use system restore again. I'll show you if this might have been a problem.

I would uninstall the Norton save and restore if you haven't tried that. You seem to have tried all other possibilites except the most obvious, by your own statement.

8. blueadept

blueadept Member

Good Thought ... but, didn't help (I deleted/cancelled ALL Symantec processes/programs).

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

You uninstalled all the symantec products? You used their clean tool after? Did your system restore allow you to go back before problem started?

10. blueadept

blueadept Member

I don't have a restore prior. That was the reason I bought NSR !!

11. blueadept

blueadept Member

Here is a Thought / Question:

Could it have anything to do with Services? Could a service need to be stopped/started/added/deleted, etc.?