1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant burn fast anymore?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by seadale, Jan 23, 2005.

1. seadale

seadale Regular member

hello i'm a newbie obviously. I have been using dvd x copy platinum to back-up my movies. it use to take me about 30min for the whole process, now its well over an hour. any idea why my computer is getting slower & slower. any help would be greatley appreciated! Tnx

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Theres a few post out there with others having problems with slow burns.

Sugestions:

1 Search for them post in the search field

2 your drive fell into PIO mode and out of Ultra mode.

3 defrag your hard drive

there is some other reasons this could happen so for more info search for slow burn problems or slow backup problems you should get a few hits.

3. seadale

seadale Regular member

how do i check my drive for pio & or ultra mode. excuse my ignorance. i've never used any other program other than dvd copy x platinum. everything else is new to me.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Hopefully you're using windows XP. Go into Help and Support in the Start menu. Search DMA. You want to go into the Device Manager to check the settings. They can be checked in Nero's infotools if you have that program on your PC. Below are the steps involved.

Opening categories in the Device Manager can be acheived by double clicking the desired entry or expanding the category by selecting the plus box to the left. I say double click to expand or click when a single click makes the selection of a tab in a window. Here are the steps to check DMA in the Advanced tab.

Start
    Control Panel
    In Control Panel double click System
    In System Properties window Click Hardware tab (if not already open)
    Click Device Manager
    In Device Manager Double Click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    Double Click Secondary IDE Channel
    Click the Advanced Settings Tab in the Properties window.

5. seadale

seadale Regular member

thanks was able to find using the search. my primary ide was still dma, but the secondary was in pio i changed to dma. hopefully this will cure my prob. the next time i back up a movie.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

The secondary channel is the one with the drives. PIO settings definitely slow things up. If the problem isn't cured, check to see if the setting went back to PIO. Sometimes the problem that causes it is temporary and disappears and sometimes it can be persistent.

7. seadale

seadale Regular member

thanks bro, is there anything else that could slow down the process?

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Not doing the routine maintenance can slow things down. Adding programs that require RAM is another if those programs have a constant draw. Check with Task Manager.

Defragging the drive and doing the anti-virus scans helps keep things working properly; also, a weekly cleanup of spyware and adware. Ad-Aware SE, SpyBot (both free) and SpySweeper are the ones I use (SpySweeper has a free trial but needs subscription to stay current). Defragging and the weekly cleanup will keep the system running as well as possible. With the drive being in PIO, that was the cause of the slow speed, no doubt there.

9. mdinap

mdinap Member

Hey i am having the same problem that he is having. My times were at 15 miuntes for an entire DVD and now im back to about 50 minutes. I think i know what the problem is. When i was burning 15 minutes my CPU usage was at 15-28%. Now its at like a constant 100% sometimes dropping to like 82%. I know this has got to be affecting the burn because i have tryed everything else. Do you know of any reason or way i can get that CPU usage down during a burn. Cause when im not burning it is between 0-4%. Thanks!

10. seadale

seadale Regular member

one thing i dont get is in the ide 2ndary, there is also a box in the middle. it doesn't have a dropdown so it cant be changed.it say current transfer mode "pio". whats that all about. i changed everything i could to dma. i backed up my 1st movie today using dvd decrypter & dvd shrink. It came out great, but is it normal to take 2hrs to do. my computer told me the drives didn't need to be defragged, i use adware once a week. freed up a bunch of space cleaning out old programs. i'll take a look @ the task manager & see if i can see anything. thanks again bro!

11. seadale

seadale Regular member

mdinap, i just tested out your theory. my cpu was zero & when i started the back process it shot up to 100%. not sure what all that means or if it is normal. let me know what you find out.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

What is normal depends on the system, i.e. the CPU and its speed, RAM, Front Side Bus, hard drive, and the OS along with some possible software limitations. One has to take into account the size of the files being encoded. I can rip and burn a DVD5 in 30 minutes or less. But if I take a big movie near 8GB and encode that with RB/CCE, I'm looking at nearly 4 hours.

Making sure your system is still in DMA, try a trial program. DVDCopy3 is both fast and high quality. http://www.intervideo.com (pay attention to software requirements) Then let me know how long it took with that program. You need to rip the DVD with the latest version of DVD Decrypter (free). http://www.dvddecrypter.com I leave AnyDVD running in the background all the time. http://www.slysoft.com AnyDVD has a 3 week trial. Try that setup and let me know what happens.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

mdinap
    Did you check your DMA settings. If you have the same problem, it may have the same cause. Not always guaranteed.

14. seadale

seadale Regular member

have anydvd, loaded the trail version, but either i'm lame or it didn't load right. nomatter what i try on that program it wont work. this can get very frustrating, but i really appreciate you helping me out.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Which trial did you try to load.

16. seadale

seadale Regular member

17. brobear

brobear Guest

With a trial, if it's not expired, it should load over the older version. However, if you're having problems, delete the original and then load the later version. It is a 21 day trial. If you own AnyDVD the new versions are loaded over and supposed to be updates. If not, contact support for a new key.

18. bydasword

bydasword Guest

just wanted to go with [bold]brobear[/bold] on this one....when i using DVD Shrink, if i can get a movie down to 100%, with no compression and no need for deep analysis or super sharp settings everything is done in under 15 mins. However...when i get a larger size DVD, it can jump up to 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. You get the CPU involved a little more when these settings are selected.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2005
  19. mdinap

mdinap Member

I tryed burning again with the new programs that you told me about and the times where not very dfferent. Reservior dogs took 46 minutes. All of the deep encrptions and super settings are turned off and i am in DMA mode not PIO. I have Windows XP - 512K RAM - I am not sure about the Front Side Bus specs - and a 60GB hard drive with 42.2GB free. What could be some other causes that the CPU is so high during a burn

20. brobear

brobear Guest

What was the size of Reservoir Dogs in gigabytes. Just put the disc in the drive and open My Computer and move the cursor over the drive with the disc in it. If it was a DVD9, 46 minutes doesn't sound bad.
    10 to 15 min for a rip and about 15 min for a 4X burn (4X is the recommended speed). That leaves about 16 minutes for encoding the movie, which is quick.