1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant burn .mdf files with Alcohol

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by lake10, May 15, 2004.

1. lake10

lake10 Member

i have an .mdf files ( 4 gb ) and i cant burn it with Alcohol.
    Alcohol support .mds files and other but not .mdf

Do you have any idea to help me.

By advance Thank You

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

.MDF is the full, large, CD/DVD image (like the .BIN), and .MDS is the media descriptor file (like the .CUE). You need both files to burn the image, and I don't know how it's possible, IF IT IS POSSIBLE, to write a missing MDS (like the BINs), because .MDS files aren't ASCII but binary.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: May 18, 2004
  3. Hemispasm

Hemispasm Member

You can either convert the mdf image into another format like bin/iso (lets say with WinISo) and burn with another application (will not work if its a protected game we are talking about) or use Isobuster Pro to extract its contents (again it shouldnt work if its a protected game). Several different ways to do it actually.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small].
    http://www.cdfreaks.com[/small]

Last edited: May 19, 2004
  4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Are you certain you can do MDF/MDS --> ISO via WinISO?

5. Hemispasm

Hemispasm Member

Well i have never tried it myself (theres no reason doing it now is there? ;) ) but others have reported doing it with WinIso. If memory serves me right MagicIso can also be used.

6. Bartok

Bartok Guest

I found a nice way to convert images.

I use deamon 3.33 (virtual dvd drive) to mount the image i want to convert (deamon can mount the following cue, iso, ccd, bwt, cdi and mds).

Then i open a program that can extract the image as a type I wan't from a DVD.

I then ask it to extract from my virtual drive and make it an iso (i use recordnow). And weee i get the image as the desired iso format.

I have done this with great succes and hope others will benefit from this advice.

Bartok

7. Praetor

Indeed, just note that when you convert from MDS/MDF to ISO, you are losing a lot of information: nothing pertaining to the content of the disc however but every else -- i.e., the stuff required to make a perfect 1:1 copy

8. Hemispasm

Hemispasm Member

.. hence my comment

_X_X_X_X_X_[small].
    http://www.cdfreaks.com[/small]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  9. MrNever

MrNever Guest

and mdf and mds are both alcohol files and there is a way of getting your mdf and mds file back as 1.
    Simply mount your mdf file in the virtual drive and make another image of it and your files will become ready to burn once again.. simple really once u have done it.

10. Praetor

Yes but if you make an image of the image as an ISO you lose all the extra copy protection related information required to do a proper burn

11. MrNever

MrNever Guest

your image will not become an iso it will become another mdf and mds.
    Try it i've never had problems.

12. Praetor

Yes but since we start with MDF/MDS... why would we want to make a MDF/MDS of that image???

13. MrNever

MrNever Guest

The original question was asked that the person had a mdf file without mds and he cannot burn it.
    Someone said make an iso but u don't need to u can get your mds back by doing it my way..
    See

14. SonicBrew

SonicBrew Member

I know this was last posted about 1 month ago but I just ran into this issue & found this with a search on Google.

Anyway, I have a DVD with multiple Alcohol images on it and found that a file, not the 600+ MB MDF, but the MDS was messed up, what odds! heh Luckily it wasn't copyprotected material & MagicISO worked great. Just wanted to say thanks to those with the suggestion to use an ISO prog. :) Not sure why I had even used Alcohol...probably a new toy to play with or something... heh

As for using Alcohol.

It allows you to open the file in Alcohol with the corrupted MDS but it won't mount. But Alcohol will not allow you to open the image without the MDS file.

Not sure if that helps but if it's not copy protected, an ISO program will work. :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2004
  15. stiletto9

stiletto9 Member

I have a similar problem, i lack what i believe is a bad mds file to go along with my two "mdf" files, which extensions are "I00 and I01". How would I go about doing this MrNevers way, since if i make an image file for both "I00" files, I would then have two sets of mds files to burn onto one piece of media? Any help would be great.
    Also I believe the mds file is screwed up because whenever trying to use it in alcohol, it tells me "file not accessable[sic]" and when trying to burn it, it just crashes the program

16. tweed8

tweed8 Member

Tried out MrNever solution.
    Works fine.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  17. Crypton

Crypton Member

You can make an image with Alcohol 120% an ISO...

Simply "Mount" the image using Alcohol or other CD mounting software (Daemon Tools) Goto the image making wizard. You can choose which image format you want to save as "IF" you select the "protection" you want to try to copy. Example Normal CD and Safedisc option will allow you to save the file as ISO. However if you choose option SecuROM it will only alow files such as MDS/MDF and CCD.

Even if the game has a protection such as SecuROM you can choose Safedisc or Normal CD option to make an ISO of it.. Now that wont let you play a "backup" of your game as it will not have the 1:1 copied protection, but this still allows saving it to a ISO image.

If you own the origional and want an ISO, you will have to use "fixed" means of playing it. I won't go into babbling about copyrights and using "fixed exe's" as many people get pissed about it, but if you own the game and made a backup, go for it if you want to play with No-CD at all or play using a backup...

You know the game is protected, quit beating around the bush and help the guy out, I see so many posts across the net where people say, oh can't be done because of this/that protection or "if" it has protection. Sorry but it is possible and there is not any software out their that cannot be "fixed" Only software that is waiting to be fixed that has not yet.
    You can help people get their games, applications running without promoting illegal use of it, just tell em how, you dont have to provide links or files...

P.S. I am not promoting the use or trade of Pirated Software, I am simply stating their is ways available to do what was in the origional post which is to make a MDF/MDS into an ISO as well as a way to still use/play the game..