1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant burn slower than 4x with the new Ritek +'s....?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RobbyD, May 1, 2005.

1. RobbyD

RobbyD Member

Im having an odd problem with nero 6.6.0.12 not being able to burn files slower than 4x. Using a Lite-On SOHW 812S and Ritek 8x+'s silver matte finish. When I burn any faster than 2x i get nasty skippy burns. I believe it is the media but I've never encountered a low ceiling on DVD's...Any suggestions on how to get a slower burn or media that wont produce skippy cd's at 4x.

2. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

Question may sound stupid, but does your burner support 2x burning ?
    Have burned at 2x before ?

If Yes:
    You still have those other media that would burn at 2x ?
    Will nero display 2x when you use those media ?

Reason I ask, is I had a Philips DVD8631 and it's lowest speed on DVD-R was 4x, its would not burn slower than this.

Check if there's a new firmware update for your drive, maybe they added support for newer media/speed.

Helped a few in the past.

Drives specs always display the MAX speeds, but it's hard to find true specs like: With 8x DVD-R, it will support 2x, 4x and 8x etc...

My 2 cents...

3. RobbyD

RobbyD Member

Yes I've burned at 2x before. I have some dvdr- discs that burn at 2x and they burn "better" but still a little choppy. No option in the nero burn screen for 2x at all its 4x, 6x, 8x only.

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Did you just switch to this particular type of media? I've noticed that my burner will burn some DVD-R at 1x if I want, but others only go down to 2x. So it's not necessarily a +/-R(W) issue, but also media ID.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  5. RobbyD

RobbyD Member

The thing is i can burn at 2x with the same media on my other burner which is a sony dwu14a i believe but its only a 4x max.

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Yeah, the burner and media both have to match speeds to be able to achieve that speed. If your media is capable of 1x, 2x, and 4x but your burner is capable of 2x, 4x, and 8x, you're only going to be able to burn at 2x or 4x. Follow?