1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Convert Those Pesky DRM .wma files?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Hulkmania, Feb 6, 2005.

1. coda

coda Guest

ok guys, heres my deliema. my .wma files won't play any more. i tried to convert them to mp3, no luck. wmp says my computer is not allowed to play these files and when i try to aquire a license, wmp just does nothing, except try to aquire a license. i've had these files for a number of years and they worked fine.
    i have re-formated my hd and re-installed windows. but, shouldn't they still play? or did changing #2 hd to my new pc put a wrench in the works? i'm stuck.
    does wmp change the file if i update the id3 tag? i believe i had them as mp3 at one time. the file info. says it was modified 2 yrs ago. hmm has it been that long?

i'm running xp, wmp 9

2. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

you can ONLY convert an encrypted WMA file IF YOU CAN PLAY IT. the trick now, is to figure out WHY it won't play the file. you said you'd played the file for a few years previously. had you played any JUST BEFORE you swapped the HD drive?

also, i don't know much about the .wma, so it's abit difficult to figure out what kind of licence it had. if it was a free sample, maybe the "free" limiter on the licence runs out after so many years, or maybe the licence was "removed" from the "source's" server, effectively leaving you with a virtual "paper weight". if, however, you actually PAID for this file, you should definitely contact the file's provider (i.e. Yahoo!Music, etc.), and ask THEM what's up. some "samples" only allow you to play them anywhere from 3-15 times before they "self-destruct". if this is the case, it should be listed in the file's "Properties", under "Licences" in WM Player.

you could always try swapping the HD back temporarily (provided that's an option).

also, please note that PROTECTED wma's do not ALLOW you to edit Tag data (at least, all of them i've encountered). maybe you were thinking of the mp3?

edit: another thought. this is a long shot, but if it's a popular enough file, maybe they "updated" it to the new WMA11 codec. can you re-download it, or is it still where you got it from? if it is the codec, just download the latest one from M$. if the file's NOT there anymore, they may have "pulled" the licence, as i mentioned earlier...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  3. coda

coda Guest

thx darkflux. i'm fairly sure the original was an mp3. could wmp convert the .mp3 to a .wma? hmm, i don't recall converting it. but i do recall updating the id3 tag with wmp.
    anyway, i finally got wmp to aquire the license( it helps using the right user id):) , a bit red in the face over this one.
    since i can play them i have converted them. thx again for the input.
    someday we will be free to do with our files as we please.

4. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

WMP doesn't convert files itself, but Windows has a pesky little program called WMA Converter, which, rather than converting FROM WMA to a more USEFUL file type, converts most files INTO WMA's.

glad you finally figured it out, yo :)

5. dadbrook

dadbrook Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  6. darkflux

darkflux Regular member