1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't copy songs from itunes to ipod

Discussion in 'Audio' started by roselinap, Jul 18, 2011.

1. roselinap

roselinap Member

I have a new computer and installed itunes and music. However when I connect my ipod it shows up but I cannot transfer songs from itunes to it. What is the cause of the problem and possible solution?
    Thank you for any help!!!

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I would not use itunes. I would upgrade to some other system. Look at the very top posting on this page and go to almost the bottom. itunes shoots first and asks questins later with security issues. By using a new computer itunes will concider what you are doing as a security risk. You might be able to find someone that can walk you through it but if you slip itunes can delete your music, lock your ipod so you can't use it without hacking it etc.

User beware. Half the posts in the ipod forum are help! I can't get into my ipod or help what happened to my music. Apple will not help you if after a security attack.

3. qing2

qing2 Member

It's because your iPod can only be synced to one computer at a time unless you enable the Manually manage music and videos option from under your iPod's summary tab. However, this method of syncing is much different from having iTunes automatically sync content for you.
    So in order to sync your iPod with the new iTunes you'll need to copy the music from your iPod over to your new PC and then erase and sync it.
    For more information on copying content to an iPod manually see this article how to transfer or copy music from iPod to PC.
    Hopefully this works for all of you like it just worked for me!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  4. Mez

Mez Active member

You erase all the music on the ipod? That would avoid the security routines because the ipod has no music for the initial sync and later, all the music on the ipod came from that one computer.

5. pearlmi

pearlmi Member

Is it possible that you have a different iTunes account for the iPod than the one you use for the iPad?
    Technically, they should still transfer (as far as I know) but might not play. But since I have never owned an iPod, I cannot say for certain.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

itunes is plenty smart enough to not let you share tunes. A great reason not to use itunes. It will screw you if Apple thinks it can do so legally. I can't see why anyone would opt to use it with so many safe choices.

7. Mez

Mez Active member

"i think your iTunes version is not compatible with your iPod "

How would that happen? You you really think Apple is that incompetent? They would sell an ipod with a version of itunes incompatible with the model? That Apple would make itunes that wouldn't run on all ipods? If so, why would a newer version fix anything? It would probably make matters worse.

As I read the query, the problem looked to me to be the new computer, not the ipod.

Again, at the bottom of the top post in this forum there is a link to a review of 50 ipod sync apps most allow syncing back to the computer and many apps have free versions. I would prefer an app that I could select the tunes and select the place to put them instead of a recovery app. That sound like it will recover back to itunes which is probably the root of the problem.