1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant copy

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by apojapo, Aug 13, 2004.

1. apojapo

apojapo Member

Hi guys,
    when i try to copy my dtm2 dvd to my xbox with px hdd loader there comes a error that tells me that the title is too long. I tryd to copy the game with xboxcommander and dvd to xbox but that doesnt work. Does someone know what to do? Thx a lot

2. Scotsmen

Scotsmen Guest

Hi

The problem with that game is that is has a file name that is too long to be copied over you need to rename the file shorter then patch the games default xbe with a hex editor to coralate with the shortened name.

Or if that seems like to much trouble you can always make an iso of the games file if its on your pc or ftp the files directly to pc from the original disc place on your xbox and burn it to a DVD-R and run it from the disc and still use game saves from hdd or memory card.

Regards

3. apojapo

apojapo Member

Thx m8

problem for me is i dont have a dvd burner. And when I must rename the filename i must have a dvd burner either isn't it?

Strange thing is I can copy it with 'xbox commander' and also with 'dvd to xbox' and can select the game in my games directory. Last one says when the copy is finished i cant load the game from my hd or something. Is that all cause the name is too long?

4. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Right, put your game in your xbox and link it up with your pc, transfer the game over to your pc(ftp), rename the file to a shorter name then patch the default.xbe( just as scotsman said). On ceyou have done this transfer(ftp) the edited game back over to your xbox and put it in your games/hddloader folder. If you need help with ftp'ing just say and we will help you out.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Xbox v1.0, X-ecuter2 lite,EVO-X DASHBOARD,

ps2 v4, magic 3.1

AMD BARTON 3200+,wInDoWs XP(sp1),asus A7V600-X motherboard,120GB HDD,
    256dDDR ram,pioneer 106D,ASUS 16x DVD Drive,Radeon 9200se gfx card.[/small]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  5. jackthe3

jackthe3 Member

do you need a mod chip to run dvd2xbox or what? I just downloaded 0.5.9 and i wanna know if it will work with a brand new stock xbox. I just broke my ps2 trying to install a mod chip so im gettin a xbox. stupid ps2.

6. apojapo

apojapo Member

Thx mat,

My knowledge of xbox, comp etc is a litle bit limited so it wold be nice to give me some tips. I heard that you must have some cable or something to ftp?

@ jack, i think you need a modded xbox, and if not, what you have on a movie or game on your hd when you cant play/view it

7. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

To transfer from pc to xbox directly, you need a crossover cable(aka,cat5e patch cable), you then need to set up your pc and xbox connection.

1. The first step is to make sure you PC has a static internal IP address. Go into your Network card's TCP/IP Properties, and check off "Use the Following IP address:". Next, where it says IP address, enter: 192.168.0.1. Where it says Subnet Mask, enter: 255.255.255.0. Click on Ok, and exit.

2. If you have loaded the EvolutionX dashboard onto your Xbox, and you want to assign your Xbox a Static IP, go into Network, and under Static IP, enter: 192.168.0.x (where x is a number from 2 - 255). For the Default Gateway, enter: 192.168.0.1.

3. If, however, you are using ICS or Winroute on your main PC, you already have a DHCP server, and it really isn't necessary to do step 2 above, So in this case, the IP assigned to the Xbox by the DHCP server (on your computer) will be done automatically each time the Xbox is turned on. In other words, the Xbox will be assigned a dynamic IP, which will be different each time the Xbox is turned on. The only way to have a static IP on the Xbox is to follow step 2.

When you have done this go into your favourite ftp program e.g. flashfxp, and enter your xbox ip, xbox as password and xbox as username(default settings). Click connect, if using flashfxp your xbox folders will appear on the right hand side and your pc folders on the right. Just drag whatever you want to ftp into the appropriate xbox folder e.g. for a game, open E folder, then open games (or the folder your games are kept) and drop it into that folder. Then reset your xbox and you are done.

Hope that this helps you, if you dont understand anything ask and i will try and help you out. :)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Xbox v1.0, X-ecuter2 lite,EVO-X DASHBOARD,

ps2 v4, magic 3.1

AMD BARTON 3200+,wInDoWs XP(sp1),asus A7V600-X motherboard,120GB HDD,
    256dDDR ram,pioneer 106D,ASUS 16x DVD Drive,Radeon 9200se gfx card.[/small]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  8. Laxington

Laxington Member

hi guys, well i copied the default.xbe to my pc and used hexeditor to rename the "name" of the game but where can i find it? how do i rename it? must i first disassemble the file or what?

I found this in the file:
    C:\workdir\RD2_XBOX\Xbox_UK_Release_LTCG\RD2.exe

is this the "name" and is it too long? can someone help?

thanx to you guys in advance,
    lax

9. Scotsmen

Scotsmen Guest

Hi All

I have listed the file name below in a
    "before & after" the first line shows you the file name and where it is located before editing then the shortened name under it.

This IS FOR PAL ONLY NOT NTSC

I hope this helps you.

PostProduction_ScalarDepthVelocityTransformShader.xvu

to

PostProduction_ScalarDepthVelocityTran.xvu

Once this has been changed to the bottom line

with a hex editor on the games "default.xbe"

search for the string:73666F726D5368616465722E787675

And change it to:2E7876750000000000000000000000

This action in the hex editor changes the xbe to look for the line:postProduction_ScalarDepthVelocityTran.xvu

And it WONT NOW look for:
    PostProduction_ScalarDepthVelocityTransformShader.xvu

Do that and your done;

NOTE:

Once you have made these changes to "default.xbe" and the long filename, you MUST run those changed files from the HARD DRIVE. If you burn these modified files to a DVD-r with the rest of the files, the game will NOT play from the Disc it simply locks up one the EvoX / Avalaunch loading screens! I appologise if this is diferent for anyone else, but i have tried on many differing xbox's...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2004
  10. Laxington

Laxington Member

hi scotsmen,

forfirst - thank you very much for your help!!! well ok, i found the line in the default.xbe file and changed it and filled it with 00. but dont i have to change the filename too and then transfer everything to the xbox?
    because default.xbe will point at: PostProduction_ScalarDepthVelocityTran.xvu so the original file on the dvd had the longer filename. shall i look for the file and rename/shorten it too?

thanx in advance,
    lax

11. Scotsmen

Scotsmen Guest

Hi

Yes you need to shorten the file name in the folder of the game. As once you have changed the default.xbe to the shorter file name it will look for the shortend name and NOT the longer one.

Regards

12. Laxington

Laxington Member

thx, i know it sounded a bit silly but it was quite obvious that you have to rename the filename too. but i wanted to be sure. thanx a lot, scotsmen!