1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem can't create restore point

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by kookie56, Jan 7, 2019.

1. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I am trying to create a restore point and I keep getting a message box pop up stating:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\SystemPropertiesProtection.exe
    Windows cannot accedd the specified device, path, or file.
    You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

This is something new. I never had this problem before.
    Can anyone tell me how I can fix the problem, so I can create restore points?
    I would appreciate any help with this.
    Thank you

2. Nylis

Nylis Newbie

I had this in Windows 7.
    Microsoft's 7 successful solutions helped me just as little as anything else I found on the Web.
    Several months later I read in the My Digital Life Forum:
    "The 100mb hidden system partition of Windows 7, which, among other things, also holds this recovery information, could sometimes be too tight, causing Windows to shut down the affected service.
    Therefore 300mb would be the better choice.
    I chose 500mb for all my later reinstallations and never had to deal with this problem again.
    Although some say this can easily be done during the normal installation process, I have always prepared my disks with 'diskpart' accordingly.
    During a W7 installation, the manual DISKPART mode is entered when in the window for selecting language, time format and keyboard layout

SHIFT + F10 is pressed.

Enter in the console and wipe the disk
    1. diskpart
    2. select disk 0
    3. clean

Create a system partition
    1. create partition primary size=300
    2. active
    3. format fs=ntfs quick label=System
    4. assign letter=s

Then declare the rest as a Windows partition
    1. create partition primary
    2. format fs=ntfs quick label=Windows
    3. assign letter=c
    4. exit

Bye, OJ

3. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

Thank you

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Never been a fan of syst restore ever since xp due to it's un-reliability to restore. If you have other hdd's either as slave or externals you'll be better off creating system images.Even windows backup might be better but don't keep the save on your primary drive where windows resides regardless if it's partitioned.Down side to images is if you have everything on C like all data of photo's,music,vids & games etc..My drive is partitioned so C is around 100gb with usually 50gb free,everything else is on extended partitions or other drives so only the OS & some progs are n c keeping it small,it also makes the images small as well..Best time to start imaging is when first reinstalling windows.However you can create backups of system files & selected files & folders if your C is huge..A good free imaging prog is easeus todo backup version 5.8 you can get here at AD.Use the older version link to get it.Reason i mention it is it's the only free one that allows compression of your choice that i know of,i usually select medium,.Can get newer versions on torrent shhhhhhh

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I always clone my main drive in case something goes awry. I can clone back if something goes wrong. All other files are on my other hard drives.