1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't format transflash card in Samsung T809.

Discussion in 'Samsung discussion' started by Nephilim, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've a T809 that comes with a SanDisk32MB transflash card and I've run into an issue with it. The other day the card suddenly refused to take any data whilst I was trying to move some mp3's to the card via the SD adpter plugged into a USB media reader. I've tried to format the card through both the phone and windows and neither of them can do it - they both say the card can't be formatted.

I've tried the SanDisk USB test tool but it keeps erroring out saying it can't locate a USB drive even though the card is plugged into the USB media reader.

Any ideas folks? This one's got me stumped.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Make sure you haven't flipped the tiny switch on the card over to "read only".

3. Nephilim

Thanks Jim :)

I'm aware of the switch on the SD adapter and I've taken that into account with no luck. Is there a switch somewhere on the itty bitty transflash card itself? I don't see one.

Maybe it's just a bum card. The TransFlash id actually made by made by KingMax (it's the SD adapter that's made by SanDisk :p) and I'm not familiar with them. I'm looking into a 512MBG SanDisk since I know SanDisk to be quality.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  4. Nephilim

I finally got the thing to format so for the sake of those that may have the same problem here's what worked for me:

- Leave the TransFlash card in the phone.

- Set the USB function in the phone to Mass Storage:

Menu > Settings > Phone Settings > USB Settings > set to Mass Storage.

Once the phone is set to mass storage connect it to the PC via the USB cable and your PC should recognize the phone/memory card as removable storage. Once I had all this done I could double click the icon for the phone in My Computer and format the card through Windows (I used FAT32).

I dunno if there's an easier way but at least I got the stupid card formatted.