1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get iPod out of recovery mode (and some questions/concerns)

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by nyk0n, Jul 23, 2010.

1. nyk0n

nyk0n Regular member

I bought a used iPod Touch and wanted to remove all of the customizations and music the previous user had, so I did.

And when I restarted it, I noticed it was in recovery mode.

After getting home later in the week I hooked it up to my computer and found a few problems...:

1. Windows did detect the device but it said that the device was not recognized

2. It also did not show in the iTunes program.

I have Windows XP Service Pack 3 32-bit, and I know the iTunes is the latest because I just downloaded it from Apple.

In addition to 1, 2, I have a few more questions/problems...:

I have tried the thing where you hold the top button and home at the same time then release the top button with no luck.

I have also tried to uninstall all Apple products in the proper order.

I have also tried to restart the Apple Mobile Services thing.

In addition I have one question, other than the above problems and issues...:

I have googled the words "recovery mode" & "DFU mode" both show a picture of a long, rectangular USB cord and one with a short, rectangular USB cord (the one my iPod shows on the screen) what is the difference between the picture with the long USB cord and the short one, does that mean something if the screen shows either one, respectfully?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yes, and iTunes was open at the 2nd time, the first time iTunes was not open and when I had realized iTunes had to be open, I uninstalled everything and started over.
    I am a first time iPod user, and apple for that matter.

2. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

Try holding the home and the power button until it shuts completely off . Then open Itunes and plug the Ipod cable into your computer but not your Ipod . Now hold the home button and plug your Ipod to the cable at the same time . When it says " found bla blab bla in dfu or recovery " (not an exact quote) click restore . It will download and install the lates firmware/os for your Ipod touch .

3. nyk0n

nyk0n Regular member

Didn't work but thanks for helping :)

4. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

What errors are you getting when connecting to itune . Is it even recognizing your Itouch?

5. nyk0n

nyk0n Regular member

It shows a device is connected in windows but not itunes ans it is saying it is an unknown device, and in device manager, no yellow triangle is showm, device manager is not even showing a problem with any device but the "Device Not Recognized" screen shows next to the clock in the right and corner. Weird huh?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  6. Mez

Mez Active member

No, not weird, sad. Somehow you activated an itunes security routine which killed your ipod. At least half the threads are asking for help after itunes killed their ipod or other device. They finally perfected the kill routine about a year and a half ago. Since then more than 50% of the queries on this forum have been how do I fix it? No one has figured that out after 1.5 yrs.

7. nyk0n

nyk0n Regular member

Well, thats awful...I had figured it was my computer that was the problem, its an old computer and it has a ton of problems. I have the intention of formatting the hard drive and starting over...there is nothing to back up other that a small folder with some pictures. Is there any chance at all that switching to a more recent computer setup, like say, my college campus computer would get things working again? I should have done research, apple sucks, should have went with android but they dont have an MP3 player yet, which is all I want, I have a phone, so thats not a problem, anyway thanks for your help

8. Mez

Mez Active member

The players are fine. itunes is the problem. I would guess a third of the ipods do not sync with itunes. Because your problems are different than an a normal itunes killed ipod, there is hope. You can't even see the ipod connection if it is killed. Where you might find help is in the Media Monkey developers forum. There are several members that write sync scripts as add ons for MM. For instance there is one that saves ipod ratings over the ratings on the computer. I use auto rater that rates tunes by how often you play them. It counts the plays on portables during the sync. Because they are still just users they are freer with information. To write the advanced scripts they need to know in inner workings of mp3 players.

9. nyk0n

nyk0n Regular member

So what is it that I should do?

10. Mez

Mez Active member

I just told you...

Go to the Media Monkey site and post a query in the developer's forum. Maybe someone there might be able to help you. I can't think of another place that has that level of expertise and might actually want to help you.

The problem is, if it really is the kill routine, it turns off the communication on the ipod side of the connection before it goes into the recovery mode. You can't ever turn it back on because the communication port you would need to fix the ipod was killed. It is like locking a door then breaking off the key in the lock. See the beauty of it! It took Apple 6 years to perfect it.

11. nyk0n

nyk0n Regular member

Well, I had forgotten to mention this before but, the computer I have been trying this on used to be mine, 3-4 years ago, since then the new owner (my father has had me clean so much malware and whatnot that hardly anything works, no USB devices are detected properly, I can't get into the registry editor, I also cannot get into the windows update site. I am going to use "Dukes Nuke & Boot" and wipe the hard drive and reinstall XP. If nothing works, then I will check out that site. I just have one small folder of pics to move onto my FTP site then I can wipe the hard drive. chances are all the malware and stuff I have cleaned over the years kinda "left its mark"....Have a great day :)

12. Mez

Mez Active member

Before you nuke it boot up in safe mode, install and run malware bytes was there any virus?

Again, your problem sounds like a security attack. Read a random 10 posts before you do more damage. The ipod was killed. It has nothing to do with your computer. Try a different computer if you like. The pod is probably dead no matter what computer your use.

13. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

I think your trip'n ive never heard of device being killed by apple . For one its illegal for them to destroy you property . I have come across iphone that could not be detected by itunes . I fixed it by installing a custom firmware with winpwn then it was again discoverable .

14. Mez

Mez Active member

Well then tell me what is happening???

About half of all posts in the last year or two have had this problem. When these first showed up I asked questions. It was ALWAYS after the ipod was connected to a different computer and usually the poster admitted tunes were added. Maybe it is just bad luck. Just check the posts on this page. I will.

15. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

User error . :)

16. Mez

Mez Active member

Maybe ...

17. nyk0n

nyk0n Regular member

It may very well be a user error, because of the following problems:

1. this computer is 4 years old at least.
    2. I could write a book on the malware, viruses, and spyware this thing has had over the years.
    3. when I first hooked up the iPod, for the first time, I did not have iTunes open, or installed.
    4. at that time, I was using the front USB ports, MOST people say to use the back ones if available, they also say to remove all other USB items except for keyboard, mouse, and iPod, which I did, because the only USB items I have are a mouse and the iPod.

Just to save me time and fussing I may just use my sister computer

Thanks for your time guys :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  18. Mez

Mez Active member

If it works PLEASE post that it did. We have 20-30 of these type ipods and other devises. No one has ever posted that they fixed it, even though I asked. So maybe they did maybe they did not.

19. nyk0n

nyk0n Regular member

Well I am out of recovery mode, and I attempted the jailbreak once using redsn0w, it said that it worked BUT cyndia or whatever didn't show up. I used redsn0w 0.93 but I used my sisters computer. What I may do with my fathers computer (the 4 year old) is do a secure wipe of all drives because there is in my opinion, a very good chance that the bucket loads of spyware this thing has seen over the years, though removed, may have left traces...what do you guys think, most of the ppl I have spoke with said that due to its age and history there is a good chance they left traces. Btw, for my information, why would/did redsn0w say the jailbreak worked but then cyndia not show? Was it because Verbose mode was not checked?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  20. Mez

Mez Active member

Thanks, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.