1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get newest version of vlc media player

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by tabegoro, Apr 6, 2011.

1. tabegoro

tabegoro Member

I am using ubuntu, and is only letting me install vlc 1.1.4 which cannot play mkv files. There is a 1.1.8 version, but I can't find how to download it?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

First off i have latest version of ubuntu with 1.04 vlc installed it plays mkv just fine,i thought it strange you mentioned vlc couldn't play mkv as it comes with all the codecs to do so have you checked that mkv file in another player,as for 1.1.8 you more than likely need to install it manually don't ask me how your best bet would be ubuntu forum or web search

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

vlc provide a deb package .. simple as installing that .. mkv's play just fine on my vlc 1.01 .. just a matter of having certain right codecs in the players path... vlc doesn't come with all of them automatically for debian flavours of linux due to patents and proprietary software issues.

4. ZeeBang

ZeeBang Member

This may sound dumb but did you try 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get install'?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011