1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't locate HDD on Pc

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by guinnyss, Sep 25, 2009.

1. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

Short and to the point, my modded xbox acted a fool so i took the HDD out and place it in my pc as "slave". The BIOS picks up the disk (disk making loud siren lie noise for the first 5 seconds)but will not load windows because the "slave maxtor 120GB" is givng and error. If i turn off the "slave Maxtor" the PC boots fine etc. When i check disk management i don't see the Maxtor HDD which make sense since i turn it off in Bios. So how can i get the Maxtor HDD to show in the PC since i have to turn it off for the pc to start?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check in your bios to see if your c:drive(if ide) is master or slave because if slave then that is why the xbox drive caused yours not to boot as they conflicted.

3. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

I did some reading and my master drive is master/ slave setting and my slave drive is set to slave. It's nothing wrong with the slave IDE wire because i have an HDD that was previously connected to it and is currently connected to it. I also switch around the jumper on both just to see what's poppin but no luck. My next option as far as i research is to by a USB case and place the hard drive in it to see if it works. I need the information off the HDD because i think it's dying.

4. ddp

can you attach it to the secondary ide port by itself to pull off the info? why is the c:drive set to master\slave as should be master or slave not both?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  5. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

It's a WD is my c:drive and that's the only setting it have. Other HDD have different jumper settings and that's the one this WD HDD have. But i choose the master only but that didn't work either, the manual says if i have a slave set it to master w/slave. But i tired all kind of jumper setting trust me on that because im desperate to get my files off especially my roms :)

6. ddp

wd has to be jumpered as master if there is a slave on same data cable. if no slave present on that cable then remove all jumpers off the wd drive.

7. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

Yeah i did that. Master single and Master/slave on separate tries. Right now im just wishing the USB enclosure works when i receive it.

8. ddp

is it a dell computer because if it is then jumper it to cable select?