1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant match DVDR on stand-alone player because of codec ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ste1200, Apr 21, 2007.

1. ste1200

ste1200 Member

Hi, I'm very new to all this so be gentle :) I've just bought a DVD burner and downloaded a film from the net. It downloaded as a .Bin and a .Cue file. I want to be able to put this film on a DVD to watch in my stand-alone player. I did a search and think I needed to change this format to an .mpg so I did this and burned it to a DVD. This didnt play in my player so I tried to open it on my pc. I got a message saying 'missing Codec'. I downloaded the codec to my PC and I can now watch it on my PC, but this doesn't solve the problem of not being able to watch it on my stand-alone player. Can I just burn the .mpg and the codec to a DVD and try again ? I can't see it being as simple as that, please help !

Thanks in advance
    Ste

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Welcome to AD.

Your player likely requires the video to be in VCD or SVCD format to be able to play it. I'm guessing you just burned the mpeg as data to a CD/DVD. The cue file should contain the necessary info for burning the VCD. To use Nero:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/bin_cue_with_nero.cfm

In Nero Express, select the CD burner as the recorder, select Burn Image as the project type, select the .CUE file, etc., set the burn speed and burn the CD.

3. ste1200

ste1200 Member

Thanks for the reply. So by the above info, if I download a film in .mpg or Bin/Cue then these can be put on CD and watched without any codec needed ? What are the extensions that need to be put on DVDs to be played please ?

Thanks
    Ste

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

when you download a video file from the net in Bin/Cue file format it needs to be converted to be able to view on a DVD player. And if your DVD player can't view VCD or SVCD then you won't see it on your TV! Make sure your player can play these formats by reading the manual of the player and see what it can play! Mine plays them all, Mp3, CD, VCD, SVCD, DVD, MP3DVD, etc.

So when you do download a video from the net make sure it's in the correct format that you can convert to or play on your player. DVD compliant files are in the form of VOBs, IFOs, and BUP files ..... found in the VIDEO_TS folder.... the AUDIO_TS folder should be empty! Usually the converted files (found in the VIDEO_TS folder) should fit nicely onto the blank media as is needed (with bin/cue files your converted files should fit nicely onto a CD!) if you get an MPEG file you need to convert it to DVD compliant files and fit onto a blank DVD! Nero does it all. you just need to know what program of Nero to use. Bin/Cue files were explained nicely by laddyboy!~ MPEG file can be done this way:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/272946
    good luck.

5. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

BIN/CUE combos are ready to be burned to CD. The BIN file actually contains the data; the cue file contains info for the burning. The BIN file is basically a container file that contains the digital image of the CD to be burned. BIN files can be mounted as virtual CDs by some software and will appear as normal CDs when so mounted. You need not worry about extensions; that info is already attached to the files contained in and represented by the BIN.

6. ste1200

ste1200 Member

OK, I'm pretty sure my player plays VCDs so when I get Nero I will try copying the .mpg. Do I need to copy the Codec to disc too ? I'm not quite sure what one is or what they do.

7. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

If your DVD player plays VCDs, it has the necessary info in its hardware/firmware to decode and play the VCD mpeg file. VCDs present the video contained in the mpeg file is a standardized format that any DVD player can recognize and playback. There is a standard for DVDs as well so all players can play them back.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007