1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't open working XVID file in VirtualDub

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by stonemike, Feb 11, 2010.

1. stonemike

stonemike Member

Hi, I'm having a problem with some XviD files in VirtualDub. I've seen a lot of useful stuff in these forums but this is my first post so I hope someone can help me.

Before the experts start groaning, please read to the end! This is going to sound like a common problem that has been solved many times before but I'm convinced that there is more to it. I'm no expert but I wouldn't consider myself a complete novice either!

I use VirtualDub to crop, split, merge XviD files for my media PC. I have been using it for some time and like the program. In other words I have successfully opened and edited XviD files in VirtualDub on many many occasions and I still can. However, with some files I get the error message "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'xvid' (unknown) VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video."

All my searching on the web brings up about this error is people not installing the codec or not configuring ffdshow. I have ffdshow installed and configured for xvid (both encoder and decoder) and xvid is installed. These files play absolutely fine in all my players but can't open them in VirtualDub. Other XviD files open fine in VirtualDub. For what it's worth the ones that seem to be causing the problem (although I'm not sure whether it is exclusively) are files that have been ripped to Xvid from DVD using Xilisoft DVD Ripper (which I find to be an excellent program).

Can anyone suggest what I can check next to find out what the problem is?

Many thanks in advance and apologies for the long post.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Obviously is not th greatest program out there, since it created "iffy" files...Ever tried Autogk ? Excellent compatibility output...
    Anyhow, just download MediaInfo, open the problematic file, and post a screen shot of the result.

3. stonemike

stonemike Member

Thanks for your reply... I recently started using AutoGK and yes, I am impressed with it.

Here is the screenshot of MediaInfo...

[​IMG]

4. davexnet

davexnet Active member

I think this problem occurs when the 4cc within the file is
    "xvid" (lower case) instead of XVID.

It can be permanently changed with a 4cc changer or a hex editor.
    For a temporary change, in the VDub open dialog, check the box
    "ask for extended options" and put XVID in the
    "force video format fourcc code to " box.

5. stonemike

stonemike Member

@davexnet, thanks very much. that did indeed fix the problem...