1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant play backups on my DVD player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Pearlmam, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Pearlmam

Pearlmam Member

My problem is that my new Philips DVP5990 will not play my backups. at first i figured it was a dvd media problem which has always been a problem for me. i tried some different media and it played everything i could throw at it, even the real crappy media, the only difference is that the other media was burned on my old computer. i happened to have some DVD-R's from the same batch burned with both computers and the old ones worked where the ones burned on my new comp did not.

what happens is that the dvd plays but the chapters are all scrambled. it will start playing in the middle of the movie. my computer plays the dvds just fine.

im using DVD shrink combined with nero to burn all my dvds. dvd dycrypter or dvdfab to dycrypt the harder ones. i always create dvd files rather than ISO's which may have contributed to my problem. im using matshita BD-MLT UJ-220s ata device that came with my sony viao. whats going on? i figure it could be my burner's problem or something as simple as a dvd shrink setting that scrambles the chapters. Thanks in advance.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Try Verbatim brand disks burned using ImgBurn.
    If you are burning DL disks, use Verbatim DVD+R DL and ImgBurn.

3. Pearlmam

Pearlmam Member

i am using verbatim. i just tried an image burn. shrinking with DVD shrink and burning with DVD decrypter and success. the dvd functions on my player. thats one problem solved. since ive lost some of the original DVDs, the next problem is how do i make the backups i already made work in my player without the original. i havent tried reburning those copies with an image burn yet, but im assuming that creating an image of a dvd that already doesnt work will not work also. im going to test that now, but i dont have much faith.

any ideas why burning from a file on this computer would scramble the chapters where doing the same thing on my old computer would not?

4. Pearlmam

Pearlmam Member

well, after dealing with a power calibration error for a few hours and realizing that all i needed to do was blow on the laser eye, i burned an image of one of the backups that don't work in my player and the new copy still doesn't work as expected.

image burning works for copying the original but not the "defective backups". so at least ill be ok backing up new movies, but what about recovering the backups. is there anyway to fix the backups? since my computer can read them i dont see why not...very strange...im thinking it has something to do with dvd shrink output file prefrences. thats all i can come up with. im not a newb considering ive done this for a few years now but i still dont know $H!T about whats going on behind the scenes.

i had an idea while writing this, im going to try FixVTS on the VOB files and burn again and see what that does. to be honest, i have no idea what the program does, but it seems that since dvdshrink when creating a file changes some things around, probably in the vob files, so i need to fix them. dont think ill do it tonight though, sleepy time. hopefully someone can help me by then.

5. Mrguss

Mrguss Regular member

Name of the Movie you are backing up ?

6. attar

attar Senior member

If the 'old' movies can be played on the PC - they can be ripped and burned to new disks.

7. Pearlmam

Pearlmam Member

ALL the movies i backed up using creating a file instead of an iso dont play on my player. using an ISO burn from the ORIGINAL disc creates discs that can be played on my player. i can copy the "defective" backups using an image burn but these discs as well can not be played on my dvd player. the only place these discs can be played are on my computer(i havent tried another comp becuase i dont have one). how can i manipulate these discs to be played on my phillips DVD player? do i need to re author it or something?

i havent tried the fixVTS thing yet, i dont have time. ill try it monday when i can. i can also try re authoring the discs or something. lots of things to try but i still dont know what the actual problem is.

i know discs that arnt properly dycrypted can have this problem of scrambled chapters, starting in the middle of the movie and such. maybe this problem is somewhat related. thanks for the responses. much appreciated!

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Do your discs play on another stand alone dvd player other than the Phillips. If they do and they also play on the pc, then the fault lies somewhere in the Phillips player by default.

9. Mrguss

Mrguss Regular member

Un-Finalize Disc only can be pay back on it own electronic equipment you are using to burt it. (PC or Player-Burner)

Check your disc's on diff. DVD Player and see......thx.

Un-finalize Disc can happen if you are using corrupted programs download from not trusted web-sites or by yours latest download of others programs that make the same thing that the ones you already have 'cos they share same files.
    A simple System Restore will correct this little problem.

A low quality Media can be other reason too.

Many people been experience problems with Nero Lately. So you can try another Burn Programs like ImgBurn, DVD Decrypter(predecessor of ImgBurn) or a simple ISO File Burner as RecordNow!

10. Mrguss

Mrguss Regular member

Your "Defective Backups" are call it Half-Coaster's and maybe are out of a CSS Key encryption and that's why they act as a Un-finalize Disk. So you can't recovering them.....
    .....me I just throw them away and make them again from scratch.

11. Pearlmam

Pearlmam Member

Un-Finalized disc, eh? well, i tried playing the verbatim discs on a sony player before this and it didnt work. but that player wouldnt support some of my other discs as well. i figured it was because that player wouldnt support very many different media so i replaced it with the Phillips. the phillips plays everything except these "half coasters".

i tried the discs on my girlfriends mac and they dont play. the ones ISO burned with dycrypter or imageburn work on her comp. if i remember correctly, the half coasters would play on another PC computer. ill confirm that today. but if this is true than they can be played on other PC's.

now, from what i know about unfinalized discs i thought that they usually come up as blank dvds when looked at. or is there different variations of this? and about the CSS key encryption. i dont know very much about this except what i just now read on Wiki. is scrambled chapters what happens to discs without the proper CSS key encryption? why would my PC not need the CSS encryption and the Standalone would? before i ask anymore questions im going to research what CSS is. thanks for the response. I hope i dont have to start from scratch but the more and more i think about it the more i think ill have to start from scratch.

12. MysticE

MysticE Active member

13. Mrguss

Mrguss Regular member

Pearlmam:

Your "Half-Coasters" if they are Finalize already, they can be playback on PC's or DVD Players that support the DVD Format: Not problem....But since they are out of CSS Key, they can't be recover.

Un-finalize Disk's (CD's or DVD's) come out as "Blanks Disk" if you try them to play-back on others PC's or DVD Players......But usually you can play-it-back on his own electronic equipmant you are use it to burn it only !

The Scrambled of the Chapters is a diff issue.

14. jonusb

jonusb Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2009
  15. Pearlmam

Pearlmam Member

just to finish the thread. i couldn't reburn the backups in order to have them work anywhere. they are now keeping water from condensing on my oak coffee table.

i did, however, find out that nero was the culprit. i used dvd-shrink with the option to burn with nero and that is not good. it had worked for me before but not now. i guess i could reinstall nero and fool around with it, but i dont care. image burn works great. moral of the story: test your backups on a dvd player, especially when using a new comp.