1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant play burnt movies anymore (ASPI error, perhaps)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by andreasw, May 27, 2004.

1. andreasw

andreasw Member

Hello

Since about a week ago, I cant watch my burnt dvd movies.I use Anydvd and CloneDvd to rip the Dvd.
    It has worked very well for some time now, until a week ago.

There are no errors during ripping and burning.
    When I insert the copy (in my dvd player in the computer) it has always generated a popup which ask me what program I would like to open the file with.
    For example: PowerDVD or Windows mediaplayer.
    But now it opens the folder D:/ showing the folder AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS.
    So I cant start the movie from here. (Which I could before)

Then I open PowerDvd and try to run the movie, it does not work.It will not play. It will not play in my standalone dvd either.
    But the original dvd works like a charm.......

But, on D: I can open the folder VIDEO_TS and find a large vob file, right clickand open with mediaplayer and it works. But who wants it that way?
    So, all files are there, but there are no image of the original dvd.

I use the very same dvd burner and the very same brand of dvd-r´s as I did when it all worked.
    And I have always used AnyDvd and CloneDvd. (Even though they are not the best(?))

So, what did I do with my computer a week ago that devastated all this?
    One day i tried to run a original dvd using PowerDvd. I got some error message saying something about ASPI driver. I couldnt play the movie.
    So I downloaded some aspi drivers and restarted my PC. Maybe, maybe this is when it all "crashed"? Im not sure.

This is what im using:

Windows XP SP1
    AnyDvd 3.2.1.1
    CloneDvd 1.3.11.2 (I even tried 2.0.8.4)
    Pioneer dvr-106

Im not sure where I downloaded the ASPI driver.
    When I unzip the file there is a folder called "aspi471".
    (I hope this helps!)

Please help me out.................

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

In WinXP you can try a restore point to maybe 8-9 days ago so that your PC goes back to the way it was before ASPI update [this has worked before for me when doing a nVidia update from Microsoft for myself].

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

In addition to herbsman's advice you might also try downloading ForceASPI 1.7.

After extraction there should be a batch file called KILLASPI - run that then reboot. Now go back to the same folder where there'll be another batch file called INSTASPI - run that then reboot. After you do all this you can run ASPICHK to verify the install. All four versions should be 4.60.

Here's a link to ASPICHK:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

4. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

To: andreasw

Here is the link to the ASPI utility for WIN XP which also has the ASPI chk tool within it.
    http://adaptec.com/worldwide/suppor...em/Microsoft+Windows+XP&filekey=aspi_v471.exe

Copy and paste these instructions to notepad and print them, since you'll have to reboot to complete the installation.

In advance, I aplogize if my instructions seem elementary, not all are pc savvy.

First click on the link above and download the file to the default location which will be the root of the local disk. Here is the path, depending on your drive letter, may be "c" or "d". If it is local disk d then replace the c with the d.

C:\adaptec\aspi or D:\adaptec\aspi

Now go to windows explorer, by right clicking the windows start button and left clicking explore.

Look for the adaptec folder

Double Click on the adaptec folder, and to the right, in the split window, you'll see the aspi folder, now double click it. Now you will see a multitude of files.

Look for the "aspiinst" icon and double click it. Follow the instructions.

DOnt worry that is doesn't mention anything about ASPI for WIN XP, its OK.. DONT WORRY it will work.. 4 SHO..

Once rebooted go back to the aspi folder and look for the "aspichk" icon, this is the ASPI check.

Here are the instructions to get to the folder
    Double Click on the adaptec folder, you'll see the aspi folder, now double click it.

At the bottom in very light letters you will either see ASPI is installed and fully operational, which is what you want or ASPI error or ASPI is not functional or.. you get the point.
    At any regard, you'll want the ASPI to be installed and fully operational.
    GOOD LUCK & hope this helps..... 321sucker

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  5. andreasw

andreasw Member

To: All of you

In order to solve this I tried to use ForceASPI, without success.
    So, instead of getting to deep about this I tried DVDShrink. Now it seems to work like it should.
    I have no idea why CloneDvd refuses three different original DVDs when dvdshrink made it work at least with one of them.

Thank you very much for your effort......