can't play copied dvds in standalone player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by ecp26, Jan 4, 2007.

1. ecp26

ecp26 Member

Hello to everyone, I am new to afterdawn. I have read a lot about the problems everyone has with playing back a copied dvd on standalone dvd players and this is exactly my problem too. Unfortunately I haven't found the solution in any of the posting yet. So lets see if we can achieve this together.

Here are the facts, my observations and my problems:
    Facts:
    1)Backup programs tried: AnyDVD, DVDshrink(mostly this one)
    2)Burning softwares tried: Nero 6, Easy Media Creator 9
    3)Burning hardware: LG DVD Burner(burns -R and +R media), Lite-on DVD Burner(burns only +R media) I just downloaded RadarSync 2007 to update to the latest drivers for all my hardwares.
    4)Media tried: LG, Verbatim, TDK, Sony, Maxwell, Phillips, Generic brands always +R or +RW
    5)Burning speeds tried: 4x, 8x, 16x
    6)System using: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM
    7) DVD Players tried(all of them play +R media): Lenco M3, DK Digital (a German brand), Panasonic, JVC, Sony
    8) Always use DVD labels (have read that this could be a possible cause of the problems)

Problems and observations:
    1) The dvd starts playing ok until about 30-40 minutes into the movie and then it starts skipping, freezing, you name it.
    2) If I stop, eject and start it again it just won’t go ahead anymore.
    3) If I stop today and start again tomorrow at the point it stopped the day before, then it will play normal and won’t skip or freeze at that point anymore. And exactly this is the fact that aggravates me the most. WHY DOES IT WORK THE NEXT DAY JUST FINE? This says to me that the problem CAN’T actually be the media but I can’t figure the logic to this. In other words I can continue watching without problems for another 30-40 minutes and if I‘m lucky till the end of the movie.

So now, can anyone suggest some possible solutions to my problems. These problems occur with every media, every burning speed, every burning program and every burner. The backups are OK because the only thing I can actually do without problem is watch the backups directly from my PC.

If anyone needs more information to be able to help me, just ask. I see if I can give you some answers.

I thank everyone in advance for helping!!!!

Ev

2. ecp26

ecp26 Member

Still some other observations that I just remember:
    1) When I burn a movie that I have converted from avi to dvd it work just fine.
    2) When I burn a movie without menus, in other words just the movie but still with language options and subtitle options which I can only select or change while the movie is playing using my remote control, it works just fine.

Thanks again,

Ev

3. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

Welcome ecp26 man it sure looks like you have covered all your bases. I know for a fact that some TV top players do not like labels so I would elimante those. I was also think what is the compression like when you do a whole disk dvd backup. If it is set too high that can cause problems which would explain why your movie only backup works fine, because with less compression the better the backup is and it is easier for your player to play. I always keep my compression as low as possible and I always do movie only to keep it low.
    I am not sure exactly how a stand alone decompresses but I think your computer would be able to do this much easier than a stand alone due to memory.
    Another thought is I would try DVD-R on your LG burner at no higher than 4X the slower you burn the better the backup and see what happins. I know that stand alone players have a easier time reading DVD-R than +R. good luck let us know what happins.

4. ecp26

ecp26 Member

Thanks so much for replying to my post and trying to help. Yesterday I tried playing a backup dvd which I hadn't put a label on yet and guess what: IT WORKED JUST FINE!!!! I couldn't believe it. Can it really be that simple? I want to try it again with another one today and see if this is really it.

About the compression rate I have to check the next time I back up something with DVD Shrink. I know it is different for every DVD depending on how much of it I choose to backup(meaning language options, subtitles, etc). Or can I check somewhere on a log file, dvd properties or somewhere else where it is stated once the backup has been saved?

About burning at 4X, I have been doing that with the last projects I have burned because I have read that so many on this board recommend it. So I wanted to eliminate one possible problem factor. It seems to be working fine.

I keep you posted if the real reason for my problems are the labels. That is almost to good and easy to be true but I'll hope for the best. It's a new year, what the heck!

Thanks again,

Ev

5. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

No problem that is why most of us are here. we all have to start somewhere. It is always so funny when something so simple is the problem. On the compression like I said I always do movie only one sound type and i use the custom compression and always keep it around 4400mb. You do not want to burn all the way to the edge because of how they press the ink on the disk I have read towards the edge of the disk it can have problems. I do not remember 100% but I think it can get to thin in areas at the edge of the disk. I may be wrong on that but I am pretty sure that is the reason, but what ever the reason that is what I do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2007
  6. ecp26

ecp26 Member

Guess what everyone: THE PROBLEM WERE REALLY THE LABELS!!!! Would you believe that. I burned 3 other dvds and watched them and
    E V E R Y O N E of them worked just fine. I couldn't believe it. All this time having this problem and the solution was so simple. This is a great board and I thank you all for it.

Have a great year everyone. I just started mine very goooooood.

Ev

7. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

yeah labels are the worst just use a Sharpie

8. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

Glad to hear all is working well, glad it was something simple. Kinda of like a late Xmas present. Happy New year

9. buskroth

buskroth Member

Hello there,
    I'm having the same problem as ECP26 was having and was just wondering about the solution. When you say eliminate the label, are you talking about the digital label (like a volume label) you put on the disc when burning it or a physical label, as in printing onto the disc or attaching a paper label?
    I know that about half a million people have just fell about laughing at this question, but I am being serious when I ask it.
    Many thanks, from an extremely I.T. illiterate person!

10. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

Well buskroth even thought we may laugh we all have to start somewhere you should of seen some of my first questions. Well what we are talking about is the actual paper label you stick on. Just use a sharpie. Are you using paper labels? or what problems are you experiencing? No dumb question shall go unanswered HAHAHA.
    I may laugh but I will help you if I can.

11. ecp26

ecp26 Member

Hi everyone,

9 dvds burned and going! Haven't put any labels(paper) on them and everything has been working A ok.

Now I have a new question, could I save in any way the DVDs that I put labels on? I tried to copy one to one yesterday and unfortunately it gave me an error before it finished copying and I'm not sure if or how I can take the label off and save the DVD. I've tried with one but the label doesn't come off easily.

Does anybody knows how to remove a label off a DVD successfuly? If so, please let me know or if anyone has a tip I'll love to hear it.

Thanks again for all the help!

12. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

i would try to rerip them with dvd decrypter ISO read ISO write or use a disc copier nero.

if that doesn't work try pealing the labels off by running warm water over them till they soften up then peal them off

13. ecp26

ecp26 Member

Thanks MichaelP1,

I also though of warm water or something like that but I wasn't sure if this would damage the media. I'm going to try it. Will let you know if it works.

Ev

14. buskroth

buskroth Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me SLMH1296.
    I actually buy full face printable media (DVD-R) and print directly onto them using an Epson R220, however I have noticed a slight difference to the problem EV was having. My copies actually freeze and skip in the same place every time i try to play them on a standalone, however they play fine in my computer. I even burned a couple last night without printing onto them and still had the same problem.

I am burning at 2x and am using cloneDVD2 with anyDVD running. Are there certain standalone DVD players that have a better chance of playing copies?

15. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

actually the Lcheapos play backups better than most dvd players. the Phillips DVP642/37 DVD players are pretty nice for the money and play everything

16. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

buskroth I have never used full face printable media but it sounds like the paper is already on the disc. With it freezing at the same place I would say it must be in the way they apply the label. I would buy some without labels and see what happins or bum one of a friend just to try it. I would tend to belive labels no matter how they are applied machine or man or just no good.

17. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

ecp26 I had a friend that used warm to hot water and they came off and he was able to play them, but he said it took a little work. just like MichaelP1 posted there is better players the dvp642 by phillips is the best it has played everything I have thrown at it I think Amazon had it for $45.00 not bad for what it can do.

18. ecp26

ecp26 Member

so, I tried to remove the label by leaving the dvd face down in a bowl with water and with a little work they came off ok and in this way I was able to save them. Great suggestion, I was affraid this may damage the dvd but I guess if you handle it carefully nothing happens. I removed the rest of the glue left with a cotton soaked in alcohol and they were good as new. Tried them on my standalone player and they worked fine! Imagine that. I'm still amazed by the fact that these damned labels were the cause to all MY problems, but more amazed and glad that I am able to resolve it.

It feels so good, I have to admit. With this save-my-dvd action (as I call it now) I fell like someone working for green peace or some world organization where they save species on the verge of extintion! :) Well ok I may be exagerating! Anyway, it is definitly a great feeling, I can assure you.

Thanks to all again for your input, suggestions, support, interest, help, etc, etc, etc. You are wonderful.

19. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

ecp26 , you learned your lesson No More paper Labels!! huh lol

and another thing that will get the sticky glue off is Vegetable Oil

20. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

If you have a bunch of disk to clean pick up some cd skins they are protective film you pop on your disk they help protect the dats side of the cd.