1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant play copied movies anymore ?? help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by expresso, Nov 10, 2004.

1. expresso

expresso Regular member

hi - i make copies with dvdshrink and clonedvd2 - and been working fine till today- i make a copy but dosnt start to play anymore on the computer or reg. dvd players - the movie files are there - but it just dosnt start to play - seems like the beginning part is missing that make it start to play and go thur the movie -- i make about 10 good ones and all of a sudden - i cant make anymore that start to play - ??
    i cant figure it out - any help or suggestions
    driving me crazy and i wasted about 7 disks now -
    i dont belieave its the disk because i used them today also and worked - i checked the disks with dvdinfor pro and no read errors - i am able to use dvdshrink and dvdclone2 - it checks it - and makes a copy - everything works fine with no errors during the process - but it just dosnt start to play anymore on the computer or reg. player --
    thanks for any help

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

expresso, welcome to aD,

OK, I'll bite, why aren't you using a RW disc until you figure your problem out ?

For your other problem, what have you changed in the recent past from when you were burning until now ?

Software ?

Media ?

Have you checked your ASPI Layer ? Firmware ?

LQQk around, there has to be something -

Let me know,

Pete

3. expresso

expresso Regular member

yes i am using RW now - and all i did was upgrade nero and got a new dvd rom - but whats weird is that i made about 15 copies today and some worked fine and some didnt play - so i figured it was a bad disk and just did it again - and again with clonedvd2 - then i used dvdshrink again - i should have used a RW after the first few that went bad - but i dont get any errors - everything seems to copy just as before but dosnt start to play anymore - very weird - i dont know how to check the layer and i havnt done anything to the firmware - because everything has been working fine - i dont see how about 15 worked and then all of a sudden - no more work ? what can i try or do -
    i just made another copy and dosnt work - i used a RW this time - and will use it i get it working somehow -
    any ideas ?

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It still sounds like your discs but if you won't tell me what you're using, I cannot rule it out -

HOWEVER, here are some "Tips" that may help get you over the bad media hump -

STOPGAP FIXES, NOT RECOMMENDED to work through poor media:
    1. * There's a little sometimes fix, it's to compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.2GB even. For instance when using DVD Shrink, open it and click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as custom and set the size as 4300MB By reducing the amount to be burned you can stay away from the edges where the dye tends to be uneven and the discs may be brittle.

2. You can reduce the numbers of errors while burning cheapo media by burning at a reduced speed. It takes longer but what the heck, you're saving money. Since you're compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, movie only, please.

3. Super Cleaning, is a "sometimes fix" which has been known to sneak a few extra disc into use especially when your PC refuses to recognize the disc. We divide it into 2 parts, the first is to literally clean the discs prior to use, even those fresh out of the pack. Using Isopropanol Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rubbing firmly from the center of the disc outward toward the edge. Continue until the entire disc has been cleaned. Commercial cleaners and solution are available at your local electronics store. Part 2 is to reboot your PC just prior to attempting to insert your disc into the drive "cleaning out" your clipboard and your RAM memory.

5. expresso

expresso Regular member

i am using prodisc 8x media - and i just got a new order in - i dont think its the media because - first its too many that went bad - and i have used hundreds for this disc with no problems before - and also the movie is on the disk - the problem is that the disk dosnt start to play - theres some kind of command missing that makes it start to play the movie
    i have made 15 copies that were good and then one by one it went bad - i havnt made any changes today at all - so i dont understand why 15 came out good and then all of a sudden - it just dosnt start to play ?
    the movie burns good - i dont get errors and dvdshrink does everything the same as before -
    so i tried dvdclone2 - which i used today also to make good copies and that didnt fix it either -
    i havnt a clue - i will try uninstalling dvdshrink - and see how it goes - also do you know how to turn the autorun on for my dvd drives - they are off somehow and i cant it back on - ?
    thanks

6. Buik

Buik Regular member

Have you tried re-encoding your original movie to be copied as a "Back-up"?

TC

7. expresso

expresso Regular member

i have done that - i dont have the original any longer but i made good copies and made good copies with the copy - so i dont see that making any difference - i have reinstalled dvdshrink and rebooted - cleaned up a bit - and doing it again right now - i see how it comes out this one - i dont think it will make the difference- but i havnt a clue what to try after this ?

8. 6foot7

6foot7 Member

Expresso, I thought I was the only one having this problem. Try this out, the next time you backup try playing it using WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, AND THE ONES YOU CAN'T GET TO PLAY, PLAY THEM WITH MEDIA PLAYER ALSO. This worked for me and I've been waitng on someone to tell me why this worked. I've been using RIDATA 4X +R.

6FOOT

9. expresso

expresso Regular member

thats weird but i cant play them with media player
    dosnt start - if i open the folder and click on the vob files there i see just that part of the movie on showtime - but it wont start playing the whole movie
    if i cant get this working - i am going to do a backup of my files and programs and wipe out windows and start fresh - cant figure it out
    any suggestions
    thanks

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Start- my computer- right click on your drive- properties- autoplay.

11. regor

regor Regular member

Expresso, et al, The reason you get different results wrt playback of questionable backups (and oh by the way these should be lagal copies, correct?) is that you are using a SW playback(decoder) when you use WMP or PowerDVD, other. When you use a home video i.e. DVD player you are strictly using hardware (possibly augmented with SW) playback(decoding). The SW based playback is much more forgiving than HW. And in fact, fyi, re-ripping that questionable media (if it is questionable, and I highly suspect it is) can result in your abilty to make another perfectly fine backup given you do not get ANY read errors or CRC errors (no retries either, to be on the safe side). Try it out with Shrink or Decryptor. Try both as one may read fine where the other does not. Use good media, yes!!!

R

12. expresso

expresso Regular member

thanks - i already did that with the auto run - and its still off when i check system info --
    also i dont know what decoder is being used -
    if it is the decoder - i havnt a clue how it got mixed up and replaced - since it worked while i burned a few dvds and then it didnt anymore
    how do i change the decoder to right one
    thanks

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

expresso,

FYI, Prodisc isn't in the acceptable group of media either. Using poor quality media still results in large numbers of discs which won't play.

There is another thing which causes production of bad discs in large numbers and that is your ASPI layer -

We need to see if we have a working ASPI Layer.

"Yea right, and ASPI stands for Another Stupid Piece of Insanity, right ?" No, not quite, it stands for "Advanced SCSI Programming Interface". "Well that tells me nothing, what's it do ?" That's a much easier question to answer. It is kind of a "translator" allowing your software to talk your hardware in a manner that your hardware will understand. Let's imagine an Earthman trying to talk to a rock. Now, think of a sledgehammer as being the interface. With the interface in play, the Earthman can tell the rock to disperse into gravel no matter what planet the rock is from, OK ? Good, let's see if we have a sledgehammer -

2. Check for your ASPI Layer. If one isn't present, we'll need to get one and reinstall it, then reboot our PC to allow it to "settle in".

ASPI Checker -
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Force 1.8 ASPI Layer -

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

If you've found you need an ASPI layer OR would like some additional information about it - here you go -

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Check that out and let us know how you make out -

Pete

14. expresso

expresso Regular member

thanks - i decided to just reformat the drive anyway and clean up all the junk - i just got a new fresh copy installed and getting it normal again and then i will down load dvd decypter and shrink and nero -
    and leave it like that and try it again
    what is good media - ? i though prodisc was good
    and i have used about 200 of them and really didnt have problems - this just started now and i dont think it was the media - i didnt check the aspi layer when i run info tool - it says its good -
    but either way - i just started over fresh and try to keep it clean for now - but i let you know how it works out - also - tell me whats a good media in the + discs
    thanks

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier -

Here expresso, let's take Memorex as an excellent example as DVD media goes, 90% of Memorex, made by CMC, is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception – they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “ Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?”

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren’t all that suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which, “Pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc –

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. To make matters worse, many times the discs that you do burn may play in your PC BUT your standalone player may not accept them – what good then is a backup DVD that cannot be watched on a DVD player ?

When I say "Branded," that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Using DVD identifier and MediaMatch can help you find out a lot about what you're using. Purchasing your DVD media online can insure that you're getting quality merchandise at a good price. Shopping wisely will save you time, aggravation and money.

Cheers,

Pete

16. expresso

expresso Regular member

thanks for the information - i have been using prodisc for a while now - i really cant say i had many problems with them - i have wiped out windows and installed a fresh copy - i needed to clear up some stuff anyway - so i am done now - and making a drive image backup - then i can download the dvd programs again and try to burn the movie again
    but the next order of dvds - i will get what you recommended- i dont mind paying a few dollars more for quality - i just dont know which ones excatly are the best ones - i usally get them from supermediastore or mertline - anyway - but for now i just got a 100 of the prodisc 8X so - i hope it works now at least till i am done with them -
    thanks for the time and information -

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Okie, Dokie - May I make a suggestion ?

thanks, - Well,I was going to say - you'll do better burning at around 4X when you're doing DVD Video - burning much faster starts increasing your chances for unwanted coasters :( I know it seems a shame - I have an 8X also BUT I haven't lost a disc to speed - since, forever (Lol) - Naaahhh, when I was burning at 8X it always seemed that whenever I was almost out of discs, and needed everyone, THAT was the time when I lost one to speed :(

Just passing on a thought -

To help you get over the "Bad Batch", here's a tip or two -

Tips for "Problem" discs -
    1. Here's a good fix. Compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.3GB instead of the recommended 4360MB. I.e., Go into DVD Shrink, "Edit", "Preferences" then set the "DVD Target Size" to "Custom" and enter 4300MB as the size. Reducing the amount of Data to be burned it keeps your burning away from the disc's edges where the dye on poor quality DVD discs tends to be uneven and may even be brittle and flaking.

2. You may reduce the number of errors and "artifacts" (the "freezing", "skipping" and other picture abnormalities) when burning poor media by burning at a reduced speed. It will take longer but what the heck, you're saving money with those "Cheap" discs (Lol). Since you're compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, movie only, please.

The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program.

Cheers,

Pete