1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't play dvd

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by steandric, Nov 8, 2004.

1. steandric

steandric Member

attempt to play a dvd on pioneer 115 with powerdvd failed. error code: F6F00018 message: current display mode not supporting. info about my pc are:
    windows xp. p2-celeron 1200mhz. 512 ram. voodoo 3 vga. 1024x768 16-bit color. DMA if available.

what's the problem? any help appreciated.

richard

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

it is a p3 celeron not p2 celeron. your problem seems to be your video card, what is highest resolution & bit can your card go to. also how much ram on video card & have you latest drivers available even tho company now gone. what resolution does powerdvd want

3. steandric

steandric Member

thanks. highest is 1280x1024/high 32 bit. lowest is 800x600/16 bit which is also what powerdvd recommends. but i've tried and it doesn't work.
    driver is the latest voodoo3extreme oct04. video card ram is 16mb.

4. ddp

is it just that dvd or all dvds, is this just recent in that you use to play but now it won't, have you checked powerdvd site for patch & faq, have you tried uninstalling, defrag & reinstall of powerdvd

5. steandric

steandric Member

all dvds. have never played dvd before. dvd drive just installed. powerdvd version is 4 and this version works on and is copied from another pc.

6. ddp

check the settings in powerdvd for videocard configuration & try card in other pc to see if same problem, did you check powerdvd website & faq???

7. steandric

steandric Member

this is what i got from the powerdvd site faq:

Q: Error Code: "F6F00018" pops out during playback. What does it mean? How to resolve it?
    A :
    This problem is caused because your VGA card can not enable the overlay function. We suggest that you do the following:
    (a) Close all other applications that would use overlay (Like Windows MediaPlayer, Netmeeting, or other DVD players). Since Most display cards support only one overlay, If it is used by other applications, PowerDVD will not be able to access it.
    (b) Install the latest DirectX. If you did not know where to download DirectX, then you can visit the Microsoft Web site to download. (http://www.microsoft.com/directx). Some display drivers require the latest DirectX to work.
    (c) Please lower your screen resolution, color depth, and refresh rate. If this still does not work, we suggest that you try to upgrade your VGA card.
    (d) Visit your VGA manufactory website to update driver.

i've done all (a) to (d). same error. frustrated.

new video card? new cpu?

8. ddp

new vid card!!. look at nvidia or ati but remember that your agp slot is probably a 2x or 4x speed so can't put in an 8x due to card voltage & notches in slot of card. take a look at your motherboard & you'll see a brown slot near cpu about the length of white pci slot but agp is set back from back of case further than pci. look at the agp slot & note whether there are divider(s) in there or not & note location of those divider(s) for reference for new vid card. also you cannot run a pci-e video card as you have standard pci slots. so it is up to you which way to go video or cpu( which is a whole new system if your ps can't handle a p4 or equivelent. new system without monitor for about $329Can)

9. steandric

steandric Member

thanks. i think more or less the problem is one related to my dated voodoo3 video card. i'll try a new one, agp 4x, and see what happens. thanks again.

10. ddp

your welcome, happy computing