1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant preview subtitles in VirtualDub

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by gsenthil, May 1, 2003.

1. gsenthil

gsenthil Member

I am posting this after going thro the forums here and also at doom9 and dvdrhelp and the guides/articles and not finding a solution. I hope you will be patient with me

I am trying to add permanent subtitles to MPG1 files created by SmartRipper/DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc. I have been using the above 3 tools for almost a year and pretty comfortable with most options/features of TMPGenc. I also tried getting subtitles with DVDx but
    1) The quality of video/text is not good
    2) I like to be able to edit the subtitles

I already have the ssa/srt files obtained by SubRip1.15. Here is what I did.

Installed VirtualDub 2.23
    Installed VobSub Full mode and pointed to folder where VirtualDub was installed
    Verified that the vdf files existed in the plugins folder
    Performed auxsetup and Install Handlers which reported success. I also manually verified the existence of the dlls in the system folder
    I opened the mpg file (encoded for VCD) from VirtualDub
    Added the filter SubText2.23 and specifed the .ssa file
    Ensured that Full Processing was on under Video

However when I preview this I dont see any subtitles. Please explain whats going wrong and whats the solution.

If I go forward and frameserver into TMPGenc, it works and I get a video but still NO SUBTITLES :(

2. gsenthil

gsenthil Member

Or is there any other way of adding permanent subtitles to a MPG1 (VCD) file from .srt or .ssa files without any noticable degradation in quality?