1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant read CD

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by roger04, Jul 20, 2003.

1. roger04

roger04 Guest

It seems like my Samsung CD burner cant read burned CDRW.I put it in,then it tries to read but nothing happens,then when I click My Computer ,the window hangs. B4 this I burn some files,when it was almost done saying "Burn successful at 12X" but after that the green light just keep on blinking and the Nero software was idle.Please help.I dont wanna waste anymore CDs.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Some of the old drives, you need to give them time to spin up -- without hassling them by opening My Computer/Explorer
    2. Are you trying to read high-speed/ultra-speed RWs? 700MB RW? A lot of drives have difficulty reading these types of discs?
    3. I dont know how old your drive is but is it Multispin capable? (i.e., even able to read RWs period?)
    1. Try and burn a 2MB file or something reallyteeny. Does that burn successfully?
    2. ASPI?
    3. Is the drive correctly installed/detected?

3. roger04

roger04 Guest

well,I'm just using a regular Imation 4X-10X CDRW .I burn a movie on it b4 ..after I burn images ,it came like this.. I also sometimes get error message"power calibration error".

4. Praetor

1. 4x-10x is known as High Speed
    2. Power Calibration Error tends to mean toasted drive although most of the time you can still burn CDR discs. If so.. ur drive is most likely toasted.

srry for the bad news. hope im wrong. keep us posted

5. roger04

roger04 Guest

hurh!!?? meaning I cant burn anymore stuffs on the CD-R/RW? If so ..what shall I do?

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Did you "close" the cdrw after burning? Or are you using the cdrw as a data disc (formatted)? Are you using the latest UDF reader? What packet writing software are you using? Please don't say DirectCD (Roxio)<blah......

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2003
  7. Praetor

Good point Shoey! (if u are using other burning programs, "closing" a cd session may be called "finalizing").

A good way to check if the CDRW-burning part of your burner is toasted is to try to erase one.... if it doesnt erase successfully then odds are your burner is toasted. Also, try different media