1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't remove Protector Suite QL 5.2 after Vista upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by carrlos27, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Hunnie85

Hunnie85 Member

Hi guys,

I have a BIG problem, it is actually the opposite. I have a sony vaio laptop which has the finger print recognition and my safe feature. I upgraded to vista using the fresh clean install option i thought my safe would stay and convert to the new filing system but it hasnt and i have lost everything. is there anyway now i cna get the files from mysafe back even it it means reinstalling xp? regards Hunnie

2. carrlos27

carrlos27 Member

1. Load the new Protector Suite QL 5.6. When you did the clean install, Vista should have created a folder in the C:\ root directory called Windows_old (or something to that effect).

2. Find the the file mysafe.fdp. Try looking in C:\Windows_old\Documents and Settings\[your name]\App Data\Protector Suite (the folder "App Data" is more than likely hidden so you'll have to enable viewing of hidden files and folders).

3. Copy your mysafe.fdp file to: C:\users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\Protector Suite (you will probably have to enable Hidden Files and Folders again to see AppData and also, you may have to create the folder "Protector Suite" if it is not in Roaming).

4. Go to C:\Program Files\Protector Suite QL and find the file ms2fs.exe. It is a conversion utility that will allow you to convert the old My Safe to the new format. Double click it and it will find the mysafe.fdp file and ask you to enter you backup password (from version 5.2) before completing the conversion.

5. Follow the instructions for converting to the new My Safe format!

3. Hunnie85

Hunnie85 Member

Hey guys this is going to make you laugh but i am not really a technical person, how/where do i load the new protector suite ql 5.6? and i have looked in the root directory i do have a folder called windows old. and where are the instructions for converting to new file format??sorry to be a pain guys.

1. Load the new Protector Suite QL 5.6. When you did the clean install, Vista should have created a folder in the C:\ root directory called Windows_old (or something to that effect).

2. Find the the file mysafe.fdp. Try looking in C:\Windows_old\Documents and Settings\[your name]\App Data\Protector Suite (the folder "App Data" is more than likely hidden so you'll have to enable viewing of hidden files and folders).

3. Copy your mysafe.fdp file to: C:\users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\Protector Suite (you will probably have to enable Hidden Files and Folders again to see AppData and also, you may have to create the folder "Protector Suite" if it is not in Roaming).

4. Go to C:\Program Files\Protector Suite QL and find the file ms2fs.exe. It is a conversion utility that will allow you to convert the old My Safe to the new format. Double click it and it will find the mysafe.fdp file and ask you to enter you backup password (from version 5.2) before completing the conversion.

5. Follow the instructions for converting to the new My Safe format!

4. carrlos27

carrlos27 Member

Protector Suite QL 5.6

Click on the above link to download Protector Suite QL 5.6. Then follow the other steps I posted. Once you doule-click the ms2fs.exe file, on screen instructions will appear for the conversion utility.