1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't rip .vob: "searching key" forever

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by kmart, Jul 15, 2002.

1. kmart

kmart Member

I'm trying to rip my Mr. Show DVD with smart ripper, but it doesn't actually rip anything. It just sits there and says "searching key". Ripping works fine with other DVDs, but I'm having a problem with this DVD. Can anyone offer any advice?

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

I also get this sometimes. Try viewing a short section of the DVD prior to ripping with PowerDVD (or some equivalent). Should do the trick.

3. kmart

kmart Member

Well, I managed to rip the VOB files, but now it seems that they are corrupted. None of the programs will touch them. DVD2AVI flaskmpeg, both crash, windows media player and PowerDVD refuse to play these files.

Is this like the deliberate corruption they started putting on CDs? A way to foil copying? That's what it seems like to me. Does anyone know anyway around this? It's a real pain in the ass. The only thing I can think of is with a video capture card, and I don't have one.

4. jnihil

No. I think the VOB is still encrypted. Try again after loading the DVD into a software player. It should be able to decrypt after that (or have you already tried it?).

5. kmart

kmart Member

Yeah, I've tried it a few times already. With some VOBs I see a picture sort of, with some I hear sound, sort of, but none of them work properly and they crash all the editing/encoding programs I try to load them into. This is REALLY pissing me off.

6. jnihil

Last time SmartRipper did that to me I tried DVDdecryter and it ripped fine. Don't know why though. Might be worth trying changing the decryption method in the SmartRipper setup, if you're not too pissed off...

7. kmart

kmart Member

Yeah, I thought it might have to do with some of the smartripper settings, but I don't know what any of them mean. I'm not so much pissed off because I can't rip it, it's more like I was pissed off because I'm afraid that it's a new copy protection thing. Can you point me out to a guide or maybe you can tell me how to properly set up smartripper?

By the way, when I try using DVDdecrypter it just says "no devices detected!"

8. indie665

indie665 Guest

i posted this awhile ago but no one seemed to notice. use the "swap disc" method.
    1.play another dvd in your dvd drive.
    2. get Smartripper to access that DVD
    3. replace DVD with your mr. show DVD (keeping Smartripper open )
    4. hit reload
    5. make sure that enable stream is off.

Enable stream tends to fusk up .vobs and audio

9. kmart

kmart Member

Thank you, I hope this works.

10. kmart

kmart Member

It's still not working

The VOBs are really fucked up, and it kind of depends where I play it. In windows media player there's no video, and the sound is going really fast, but the pitch isn't any different, it's just skipping a lot, so you here a bunch of separate sound clips, like 3 seconds and then it skips to 15 seconds later and you hear some more, but it happens really fast.

In powerdvd the sound is the same, but you see some really messed up randomly colored pixels. It doesn't resemble to actual video at all.

So tell me how I should set up smart ripper to get it to rip properly.

By the way, when I open DVD decrypter it tells me "no devices connected" or something like it doesn't detect the dvd at all.
    ===========
    jnihil: you said I should try changing the decryption method. How do I change it? What should I change it to?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2002
  11. jnihil

kmart, (love the nickname) my PC's kinda tied-up now, in the middle of a DVD burn. Gimme a couple of hours and I'll repost.

12. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

just out of curiosity what operating system are u using?

13. jnihil

Well, I just took a look at the settings of SmartRipper. It's set to 'key check - once every vob' and 'VOB file access - auto'. Changing these may help you, but I'm kinda shooting in the dark here.

Others (including myself) who has had this issue with SmartRipper resorted to using DVDdecrypter... and it worked! Perhaps this may be a 'bug' in SmartRipper with some DVDs?

14. jnihil

15. kmart

kmart Member

I'm using windows xp. I got cladDVD, and it seems to be working, but it takes an awfully long time. Plus it's not really even working. I managed to get one .vob which was the first episode, but now that I'm trying the others, it's not finishing it, it kind of just stops in middle. This is so fucked up.

16. jnihil

17. kmart

kmart Member

I installed the Adaptec ASPI XP thingy and now it's ripping much slower! I thought things couldn't possibly get any worse. It's going slower than 1x.

18. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

have u tried the noaspi adapter in smartripper this sometimes works for me on stubborn disks

19. indie665

indie665 Guest

did your XP come with the computer or did you upgrade?

20. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

good point never upgrade from another version of windows to xp this sucks big time if u upgrade u r stuck with the fat 32 file system whereas doing a clean install does away with it:)