1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't seem to figure this out

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by FreeMrkt, Jul 12, 2004.

1. FreeMrkt

FreeMrkt Member

This might be the wrong section but some of you know a ton about music production so...I would love to make 5.1 songs. I currently use (and i know its not the best) adobe audition. I created a song and mixed it into surround with the surround mixer provided. I exported it as a 24/96 WMA Pro and 16/44.1 Wav. Also I exported it to 6 mono wav files. But, i can't figure out how to play it in surround.

I have an audigy 2 nx (external) hooked up via optical (no dvd audio yet :< ) to a DD/DTS/PL reciever. I have Besweet, GUI, and AC3Machine but they didn't seem to work. I just want this in DD but everything comes out stereo or nothing but static. How should i go about this???

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Okay, lets try & work through this one for you.
    1/. What is the samplerate of the project? You say you exported to both 24/96 and 16/44.1 - it is better to stick to the same sample rate throughout.
    2/. The 6 mono WAV files - again, what samplerate & bit depth are they?

To get your signal working correctly in your system, you need to have either a Dolby Digital (AC3) stream, or a DTS stream coming from the SP-DIF or CoAxial output of your soundcard into the AV recievers digital inputs.
    This is where it can now get complicated, so please bear with me.
    A/. Dolby Digital files use a 48KHz samplerate. 44.1KHz will either output unpleasant noise or nothing. Same with DTS files - unless you create DTS-CD files instead.
    Both these need to be done with external converters. Apparently BeSweet has AC3 converters, but they are a bit unreliable & moody - they work for some people & not others.

Your easiest option is going to be AC3, as it is simpler to find the converters - but I do not use these ones, being lucky enough to own Nuendo, so cannot say where to find them.

Another possible ioption - does your amp have 6 analogue inputs for Surround?
    If it does, you can always try outputting the 6 mono WAV files you have from your soundcard straight into your amp, and switching the amp to analogue input. This may help.

Sorry I cannot help more, but getting surround is neither cheap or easy I'm afraid.
    You are going to have to spend some money.

Your most reliable option, without going the DVD route, would be to buy the SurCode DTS-CD encoder. It is around $500 or so, and it will take 16 to 24 bit files at 44.1KHz, and multiplex them into a WAV file that can be burned to a CD. www.surcode.com
    This would then be played in your normal CD/DVD player into your amp, which has the DTS decoders.

This method is a very good way of getting into true surround at a reasonable quality. It is definitely better than Dolby Digital, as it is a 4:1 compression as opposed to Dolby's 12:1 ratio.

Hope this helps.

3. FreeMrkt

FreeMrkt Member

Thanks for replying so swiftly.

The sample rate of the project is actually 16/44.1 because they are samples and loops mainly. So the 6 mono's are the same.

I would output them to the anologues but i haven't recieved them yet, mixup at cdw. I will try resampling it to 48 with beSweet and see if that helps. I wasn't aware that DD uses 48.

Thanks again.

4. FreeMrkt

FreeMrkt Member

update:

Converted the 6 mono .wav's to from 44.1 to 48khz, updated and rearranged my .mux file and reencoded to AC3.

Success!

Thanks.

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Cool.

LOL

6. FreeMrkt

FreeMrkt Member

So, the ac3 file works fine from my pc, but is there a way i can burn it to a cd-r without buying the $500 surcode dts-cd thing?

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Not unless it is a Dolby Digital WAV file with a 44.1KHz header, there isn't