1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't start a lot of progems like, system restore, email almost everything

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mariano1, Dec 1, 2005.

1. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

A restore will get you back up and running, but unless you format your drive, I think any viruses you have will still be there.

2. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

as far as i know when you do a system restore with Windows it automaticaly formats your drive so everyone is happy..

if it doesn't download a msdos program from the net and write it to a floppy...

a fantastic alternative would be to download a program called 'Eraser' and to install it on someone elses computer and use the boot and nuke program that comes with it, when you run it a floppy will be created with an msdos program that will erase everything on your computer and it will be unrecoverable which is what you are looking for...

if you can get a copy of linux knoppix and boot from that and use a program like qtparted on it to format and partition also you can use a thumb drive and backup some of your important files...

hope this helps...

Phantom69

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

at Phantom. No way does Windows System Restore format your hard drive.

At any rate, Mariano isn't talking about a Windows Restore, I don't believe. I think he may be talking about using a restore disk that came with his Dell, or whatever computer he has.

4. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

sorry just trying to help... :(