1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

capture audio from DVD and transfer it to DVD

Discussion in 'Audio' started by andr77, Sep 20, 2004.

1. andr77

andr77 Member

I looked for a similar post but haven't found anyone doing what I want to do. Somebody must have tried it before me!!

Anyway, the film I wanted to backup (Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny) is a two-sided DVD. There is an audio I wanted on one side (a Polish dubbing) of the disk and the English audio on the other side of the disk (which I also want in the movie). Wee, is there a way I can do backup of the movie so I have both audios (Polish and English) in it? What software do I use?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi buddy,
    If I'm backing up a disk, I will make a soundless AVI of the video and then mux it with the audio (WAV, MP2, MP3, 2-channel AC3, or whatever) using VirtualDub.
    Actually I use NanDub (which is a mod of VDub) and it supports 2 audio streams - which I think is what you want to do.
    So, you could rip the DVD with SmartRipper, de-muxing the audio into separate files.
    You would have your VOBs without audio, and I'm guessing a Polish AC3 file, and an English AC3.
    I would convert the two audios into MP3s about 100MB each, leaving 500MB for the video - hopefully the film is not too long, 90 minutes or so, you could pull it off with 700MB on only one disk...
    GordianKnot has a place for primary and secondary audio files.
    You rip the DVD, 'do' the audio first, then point GKnot at the two MP3s.
    It will then select the video bitrate that will make the whole thing total 700MB.
    Or, use the AC3s and fullsize video resolution, and tell GKnot 1400MB (two disks).
    Whatever, when you get your video and two audios at last, you can then interleave the AVI using NanDub.
    Regards

3. andr77

andr77 Member

Perfect instructions! I really appreciate all the details. Seems like godawful lot of work especially that I never used any of the software - it just rings a bell. Anyway, to tell you the truth I thought of keeping the DVD format rather than converting into .avi. Sorry I didn't make myself clear in the first place. Now, following your instructions, when I have the .vob without audio, how do I put the audios back into .vobs? What's the software that'd do the trick? Same quastion goes for .ifo files? What do you think?

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Ahhh,
    My mistake actually :)
    I saw 'backup DVD' and assumed you were making DivX AVIs...
    I use DVD Shrink to backup DVD that has been ripped to HD using DVDDecrypter.
    Shrink will work right from the DVD (but, better results / easier on ROM drive to rip & decrypt to HD).
    Simple matter to select or unselect audio that you require.
    Shrink copies the audio direct, and squeezes only the video, so I usually take everything out except the video and one soundtrack.
    Your situation, with the other audio track on the reverse of the DVD, is interesting though...
    You must, I believe, rip both sides each to their own folder on HD, and then re-author your DVD to include both audio tracks you require.
    Whether you would try to copy the source files all into one directory, or author your DVD from audio files in two directories, is the question...?
    This matter, although it concerns audio, would best be answered by the experts in 'DVD-Video Authoring' forum ;-)
    I will be very interested in their suggestions, myself!
    So post question there (or post link to this thread, or maybe you can ask a Mod to move this thread over there) but I cannot help any further my friend :-(
    L8R

5. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi. :)

andr77, my knowledge in DVD authoring is fairly limited, but here is what I think would have to be done:

- Demux the two sides of the DVD to two folders (so as to get separate video and audio streams).
    I think this can be done with DVD Decrypter.

- Find a DVD authoring software that allows multiple audio streams to be assigned to one video stream.
    I doubt you will find a free software with this ability, but there might be trial versions available.

P.S: after doing a search, it looks like one option would be for you to use the latest beta version of DVD-Lab Pro.

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/historypro.html

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

For DVD Shrink and related softwares guides and information, please visit http://www.dvdshrink.info[/small]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  6. andr77

andr77 Member

The_OGS and ddlooping: thanks for your answers. That gets me closer and closer to what I wanted to do. The_OGS, I appreciate all your remarks: if I am unable to author DVD, I will convert the movie to avi using your patented instructions!

ddlooping, (I think this going to be a repetition of what I my question from the previous post was),this is still academic because I haven't started yet, but if I put the two audio streams (which I possibly extract with Decrypter) and the video stream (which I certainly extract with Decrypter) together, I'll have to rearrange the .vob files. And then the .ifo files as well, right? Can DVD-Lab Pro actually do both? If not, which software can?

7. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

DVD-Lab will generate the VOB, IFO, anf BUP files. ;)