1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

capture avi & burn into VCD. Help needed

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by harky, Dec 23, 2003.

1. harky

harky Member

I using huffyuv code to capture by using 352 x 480
    and thn encode it to VCD format using TMPGEnc
    the main question i want to ask is if i use huffyuv code to CAP using HIGH bit & encode using TMPGEnc will i still able to encode into PAl VCD format??
    Will the bit changing mess up the graphic when i view in TV?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What Bitrate Changes?? HuffyUv does not Capture at different Bitrate settings, It doesn"t have any Bitrate settings and even if it did it would not Make any differance..AVI Bitrates and Mpeg Bitrates have absolutly no corelation to each other But I can tell you that your capture settings will Not work for Pal VCD...If you want to Make a Pal VCD you have to Capture your AVI file useing Pal Settings and 352+480 is NTSC, You "MUST" capture to a Pal resolution Like 352+288 or 352+576 and you "MUST" capture to 25fps if you Plan on makeing a Pal VCD..Tmpgenc will Not properly convert your Captured NTSC file to Pal VCD if you Try you will Get Jumpy Playback and Sync problems...Cheers

3. harky

harky Member

Oic becos i thought if i change the bitrate i may able to get better graphic ...

I capture using 352 x 480 (AVI FORMAT ) becos when i encode using TMPGEnc for pal or ntsc i will get better graphic than i cap using the standard size for pal & ntsc

Last edited: Dec 24, 2003
  4. Minion

Minion Senior member

If only that were true, It would work if you Chose 352+576 and encoded to pal but it doesn"t help much if you capture at 352+480..You should Try captureing at a Pal resolution of 352+576 so when you encode to 352+288 Pal VCD then the Vertical Resolution is Divisible By 2...This would be the Proper way to do it and you would get Much Better Picture Quality because you are captureing to the Correct Pal resolution...

5. harky

harky Member

oic thx

another question...
    i dunno isit something wrong with PICVideo/HuffyUv code.. after cap it encode it & burn into vcd.. I watch it on the TV using the vcd play 2.0 (code) i found out tht my vcd some part of the video it seem to be lag.. but actually when u watch on the Pc itself everything is ok..

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

When you say the Video Lags does that mean it slows down and goes out of sync with the audio and then it eventually catches back up to the audio??? I don"t think this is because of the Codec you captured to because it sounds a bit like you are Suffering from Bitrate Spikes, which means that the Mpeg Video Bitrate suddenly spikes and your DVD Player can not spin the Disk Fast enough to read the Increased Data Rate in Real time so the Video slows down untill either the DVD Player catches up or the Bitrate goes down to the normal level...This is Quite common with some DVD Players and with Files encoded by Tmpgenc because Tmpgenc has Very Bad Bitrate controll, You should maybe try a different encoder Like "Mainconcept Encoder" which has Much better Bitrate controll and simular quality to Tmpgenc....

7. harky

harky Member

oh.. so Mainconcept Encoder is better than TMPGEnc...

but overall which is the besT? becos most ppl use TMPGEnc.. actually i nv heard Mainconcept Encoder before until u had told me =D

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Mainconcept encoder Is nescessarilly better ,It"s Quality is about the same as Tmpgenc and it is about 3 times faster but it doesn"t have all of the features of Tmpgenc, But in your case it might be better because Maincomcept has better bitrate controll which is needed when makeing Standard VCD"s...

9. harky

harky Member

oic.. i try it later. btw

i testing both Picvideo And Huffyuv for cap, both graphic are the same for vcd format.. but when u r trying to create a photo video by add photo in..

Huffyuv is much better.. i dont know y..

do u know y?

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

HuffYUV is Just better and I explained Why it was a better codec before, It is because it is Lossless....

11. harky

harky Member

hmm but when i see in the vcd format graphic.. i cant see any diff between Huffyuv & picvideo

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

Just Because you can"t see it doesn"t mean that it isn"t there , ...That is what Codecs do ,they Throw away Video Information that is less noticeable to the Naked eye so they can achieve Smaller File sizes ,That is why they call it "Lossy compression" which is what the Mjpeg format is..HuffyUV doesn"t throw away any Video Information to achieve compression and that is why they call it "Lossless Compression" so just by the Mear Fact that it is Lossless makes it superior to all Lossy Compression Formats ,because you can not see any quality differance just means that the codec is doing a good Job and only throwing away Video Information that you will not notice....

13. harky

harky Member

oic.. thx