1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capture card that automatically disables macrovision....few other questions, HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by goreguts, Sep 18, 2004.

1. goreguts

goreguts Guest

Is there a Capture Card that definetly automatically disables macrovision? (unlike the ADVC-100 that some do and some dont) I dont care if its external or internal.

What is the best software for copying VHS to DVD?

What is the best DVD burner for 200.00 or less that is PAL and NTSC compatible?

OR...if its easier to answer this question... What is the best way about going to copy VHS to DVD? please fill me in on what I need. I have nothing and know nothing about copying VHS to DVD, so PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

I definetly know That Im going to need the following:

A way to disable Macrovision
    A PAL and NTSC compatible DVD burner
    A good burning software that wont lose any quality when transferring VHS to DVD
    A Good capture card

Im looking to pay upto 1000.00 on whatever Id need, so please help me out! (I figure the price range will help develop some suggestions)

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

By Law all Capture device have to be Built with MacroVision Detection so you are going to have a Hard time finding one that doesn"t have it and even if you do find a card like this it might end up being a Crappy Card in all other respects...

It is Just easier to get a Cheapo $30 Video Stabilizer to remove the Macrovision while Captureing and they are simple to use....

All DVD Burners are NTSC/Pal compatible and you don"t have to spend Nearly $200 for a Good DVD burner, you can get a Good Dual Format Dual Layered 8X
    ,12X or even 16X Burner for under $100 ..I just Bought a New 8X Toshiba Dual Format burner for $79 Canadian...

Right now there is an awesome Deal on at "NewEgg.com" for a NEC 8X Dual Layered Dual Format Burner for $64 US ,You can check it out here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-152-023&DEPA=0

I would Suggest something like the "Canopus ADVC-100" or the "Canopus ACEDVio" for High Quality VHS to DV Capture as they are the Best devices in there price Range and with a Video stabilizer or a Sima Copy Master you don"t have to worry about Macrovision Copy protection....

These devices will Capture the Video and use Hardware Compression to Compress the Signal and transfer it to your Hard drive in DV AVI format...
    One it is on your PC you can edit it useing DV editing Software so you can add Titles and add effects and Transitions and finally render your Project as a Mpeg2 File and then you use DVD authoring Software to author the Mpeg2 file to DVD-R with Menu"s and Chapters..

What type of Capture/Editing software you should use would depend on how much Money you wanted to spend and how Complex the editing/Effects you are Doing and the Quality you want to Achieve...
    Also the same with what DVD authoring Software you used would depend on what DVD Features you wanted to use and How Complex of a DVD you wanted....

I work as a Video editor for a small studio and work with a Lot of Video so If you need any help with anything or need to know something let feel free to PM me....Cheers

3. goreguts

goreguts Guest

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE REPLY IVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure Ill be PMing you at some point! Thanks again! :)

4. norman55

norman55 Guest

Very interesting reading this thread, I own a canopus300 but don't know how to disable macrovision.

Some tapes are OK, some tapes won't copy.

does anybody heave any idea how to disable it ?

I would just like to make a copy of my old vhs tapes.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Only the ADVC-100 has a feature to disable the Macrovision Detection and it seems to only work on some of the older models...
    If you want to Capture Macrovision Protected VHS Tapes then Pick up a Video stabilizer or a Sima Copy Master and it will remove the Macrovision when Captureing....You can pick up one for Probably under $30 ....Cheers