1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capture device for dvd playback

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by BrainAcheSoftware, Jun 27, 2013.

1. BrainAcheSoftware

BrainAcheSoftware Member

Hi all,

First post so I hope I'm in the correct forum!
    I have done a search for this issue, with hundreds and hundreds of results not directly relating, so I thought I'd ask for some advice here as to what capture card and filters would best suit my needs.

I'll be using directshow and c++ on Windows7 to produce some software to capture video and audio.
    My understanding is that a capture card will deliver the raw captured frames to a filter chain, with a file output at the end of the filter chain, and an optional preview window.

My project is that I want to capture video and sound from the capture card and create a dvd disc that can be played back in the majority of dvd players (PAL/NTSC - I know they are different formats but I'll have an option to choose)

My questions are...
    A long shot but are there any filters available that would produce the video_ts/audio_ts respectively at the time of capturing?
    If not then what filters would be recommended to produce a true dvd compliant mpg file without the need for demuxing and remuxing?
    Or... if not via the filter chain, is there a capture card that can produce the necessary files directly to hard disc that I can burn to dvd later?

Cheers!
    Dave

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  2. attar

attar Senior member

I don't know of a card that does this.
    My experience of capture cards are for recording WTV files OTA using Windows Media Center.
    I have a scheduled task set up to use GraphEdit plus filters to convert the WTV to mpeg2 files, then another scheduled task to convert the mpeg2 to XviD avi files.
    I could probably set it up to convert the mpeg2 to DVD compliant files and author them - but I'm not recording for posterity, just to view and toss.

I suspect that your level of expertise would be better served if you posted at the VideoHelp site.The hotshots who hang out there would be best to consult.

http://forum.videohelp.com/forums/10-Capturing

3. BrainAcheSoftware

BrainAcheSoftware Member

Ok no worries!

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look over there.

Dave.