1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capture quality probs from some sources

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by bushbyn1, Oct 1, 2004.

1. bushbyn1

bushbyn1 Member

I am capturing from VHS with an ATI 9600 AIW (latest drivers) on video composite connectors. I did a few tapes just fine, but then got to one that looked rather bad (best described as irregular flashes across the top and middle of the frame). At first I suspected a bad tape, but when I played it on another VCR attached to my TV it was fine. To rule out the VCR, I switched them as well as the cables (so now I have the VCR/cable combo that worked fine with the TV attached to the computer). No help, same problem. Then I thought the long purple adapter that came with my card was suspect, so I bought a new shorter one (http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2538000). This reduced the problem by around 25% but its still pretty bad. I moved the cabling as far away from other power cables and sources of interference with zero difference.

I know that viewing on a computer monitor shows more anomolies then a TV, but this is very obvious flashes covering lots of area. I have not tried using the TV for a monitor yet.

It's confusing that most tapes work fine. I have found two that don't out of about 10 I have played with. The tapes are all from the same manufacturer/producer and made around the same time so copyright protections seem out.

I am going to try the S-video connector as soon as I can get my hands on something that will output that, but I was hoping for any other ideas folks might have.

thx

2. bushbyn1

bushbyn1 Member

Ahh on second thought it does look like macrovision. I never bothered to actually do a capture when I saw bad output in the preview (using virtualdub) but I decided to do a cap anyhow and it turns horrible. Contrast variations and frame freezes that scream macrovision. Gonna borrow an old VCR from a friend that hopefully ignores macro.