1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capture size too big

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by JohnOB, Mar 7, 2005.

1. JohnOB

JohnOB Member

Hi,

I'm new to capturing. I just captured a 2-hour 8mm tape to my hard drive using MPEG-2. I wanted to burn it onto a DVD however the size of the file is over 5GB. I would like to either shrink the video a bit, or I would like to edit the MPEG, to get in down to the 4.7GB size.

Anyone know of any good MPEG editors that will allow me to go in and remove unwanted material? Just removing the scenes where tha camera was rocording the ground would probably be enough!

I tried capturing at both 8,000 and 6,000 bit rate, but both were too large for one DVD disk. I really don't want to go any lower than 6,000, that's why I'm hopeing to edit the MPEG on my harddrive, then author the DVD.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

John O

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Cuttermaran, Womble, tmpgenc mpeg editor/DVD Creator, Mainconcept EVE, Sony Vegas, Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premiere...
    Didn't your capture card come with some software?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  3. JohnOB

JohnOB Member

Thanks for replying...

I bought the ATI 9600 All In Wonder, and it comes with some basic software for capture, but it doesn't seem to have an MPEG editor with it...at least not that I can see.

I did try using Roxio video wave editor, but I was not able to save my edited mpeg as an mpeg...only as a Roxio project, which required my to use their software for authoring. What I'm looking for is an application that I can edit the mpeg, save it as an mpeg, then use my program of choice to author the DVD.

What, generally, do people do when capturing a 2-hour tape? At what resolution can a 2-hour DVD fit on a 4.7GB DVD? I tried 6,000 bps, but it was still too large, and I know that when capturing at 720x480, anything less than 6,000 will degrade the quality.

Thanks for the help.

John O

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Not familair with the ATI software package, sorry. There should be something there to edit mpegs, but if not, the ones I mention above work.
    Cuttermaran and tmpgenc stuff will just simply cut and join, the others will do transitions, fades and all sorts of effects, great for home movies.
    I cap mostly at 4kbps, which should be plenty for your 8mm source. More than that is a waste, because the source video only contains so much data.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Size of the Captured file is Directly related to the Length of the File and the Bitrate used to encode the file...

A 2 Hour Movie would have to use a Video Bitrate of :
    4700kbs with an Audio Bitrate of 384kbs for the Movie to Fit on a DVD-R without being too big to Fit...

You need to get a "BitRate Calculator" to Figure out which Bitrate to use when captureing so the Movie fits on a DVD-R...The one I use is Called "PowerBit" and it works great....

If you want to Edit out some Scenes then I suggest that you use a Native Mpeg editor and not the other editors mentioned in this Thread because they are not Native Mpeg editors and will degrade the Quality of the Files when Rendering to a New File and they will take Hours to render as Opposed to Minutes with a Native Mpeg editor...

I suggest you try either "Womble Mpeg2VCR" or "Womble Mpeg Video Wizard 2003" as they are Both Good Native Frame Accurate Mpeg editors and will not degrade the Quality when editing.....

Cheers

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Um...weren't my first two suggestions Cuttermaran and Womble? <grin>
    Cuttermaran just happens to be free, and does have frame accurate editing without re-encoding.