1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

capturing analog video through a dv camcorder

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by pthor, Aug 25, 2003.

1. pthor

pthor Member

Does anyone know how possible it is to capture analog video directly through a dv camcorder with ieee 1394?

I've heard that it was possible with some dv camcorders, but not others. Has anyone tried? Does it give good quality results?

2. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello, I tried this function once since I own a Sony TRV60 and I should say that the result is just like dubbing VHS tape to DV tape. The only advantage is that you don't have to waste X'tra time of dubbing to DV tape and than input to PC using 1394. Result wise, is pretty acceptable but need to trim off some noise flickering border using TMPGEnc.
    Overall, if you have the DV cam than use it by all means but if you are buying the DV cam because of this X'tra function, than it is too expensive to explore..... Many video encording cards can do a better job and much cheaper too.