1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing digi8 from Sony Handycam DCR-TRV350

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by sleepymstl, Oct 16, 2012.

1. sleepymstl

sleepymstl Member

So I'm attempting to capture footage from my Sony Handycam DCR-TRV350 to my MacBook. My software is new, hardware is partially old and new. I'm using Final Cut (or would like to) but open to new suggestions.
    Basically, when I attempt to do what should be a simple log and capture, the computer(or FinalCut) won't recognize the camera. I've tried usb and dv cables. Still no luck. I am open to any and all suggestions. Do I need a specific driver or update? Do I need a new camera? Is it possible the video deck on my handycam is shot?
    I NEED HELP!

2. miraclemike

miraclemike Member

Minidv cable is firewire cable. Pretty much any dv camera will be recognized by your computer, MAC or PC. Nor sure about Linux, Ununtu and such. You are not a Linux fan, are you? Anyway, the camera will be "recognized", but it will be recognized as a device, not as a digital photo camera that you can navigate to using windwow expolorer. Although miniDV is digital video, it is digital in the same way a card-vased videocamera or a stills photocamera is. To get the footade off your tapes and into your computer you essentially need to play them back for your computer yo ingest. For that you need to connect the camera to your computer, power up the camera, open your video editing software (if you are using MAC than yes, Final Cut is good, although the last version of it a little strange, Adove Premiere is almost as good, nowdays both have their pros and cons), find a menu item called "capture", adjust a few settings and press "record" from WITHIN YOUR VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE. The programe will controll playback of your tape automatically. Make sure your select appropriate settings for your capture (4x3 or 16x9 aspect ratio, frame rate - 24p, 25p, 50i or 60i etc) and also for the entire project (yes, the "environment" of the material can affecy capture). The editing software will automatically recognize and control pretty much any miniDV camera there ever was. Hope this helps.