1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing through graphics card...???

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by anders-81, Jan 19, 2004.

1. anders-81

anders-81 Member

Hello!
    I would like to learn about capturing, and I have read some guides and so on, but I still have a question... I'm unsure about what hardware and cables that are required for capturing from TV...? Ok, I have a GeForce 2 graphics card, and it has an "S-VID IN" input, so I thought I could just use an S-VIDEO cable from the TV/DVD-player, and an audio cable from the "L & R audio out" on the TV/DVD-player and into "Audio in" or microphone on my sound card... But I don't know if that's enough. Do you have to use a TV Tuner card even if you have an S-Video input on your graphics card?! (don't know where to buy those TV Tunder cards...)

Thanks for any help!
    best regards,
    Anders

PS. I haven't tried to connect the stuff yet as mentioned above, because my computer is on the 2nd floor and the TV's on the first... so... But I just want to make sure if I'm thinking right or if I have to use more cables, or a TV Tuner card. DS.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

OK..If you want to Record TV shows and your Card does not have a Tuner you will have to use a Cable Box or a VCR that has a Built in Tuner and Plug the S-Video output from the VCR (If it has One, if not you might need a RCA/Composite to S-Video adapter) into the Input on the Graphics card..I have never seen any capture device that Only had a S-Video input ,Usually if there is only going to be one input they will choose a Composite/RCA input so are you sure there isn"t another input, and are your Sure that the S-Video port is Not a S-Video OutPut?? If you wanted to Capture from a DVD Player you would Plug the S-Video from your DVD-Play into your S-Video input and the Audio into an adapter out to the Line in on your Sound Card..But there is allways a problem captureing from Most retail VHS tapes or DVD"s and that is That they are allmost allways Copy protected useing Macrovision so the Picture you capture will not look Right so you will need a Video Stabilizer to get rid of the Copy protection...when it comes to DVD"s it is Better to Rip them to your PC and Copy them that way as the quality is better and less trouble....I have a Funny Feeling that your Card doesn"t have a S-video Input for Capture ,I think it is a S-Video TV Output to go to your TV set cuz I have never heard of a Gforce 2 card with Video capture and I have never heard of the Only imput being a S-Video Input as they usually only choose a RCA/Composite Input if it is the Only one.....

3. anders-81

anders-81 Member

Hello!
    Thanks for answering.
    Well, my graphics card has both "S-VID IN" and "S-VID OUT" (so I still think it's able to recieve video signals in some way...) and also ofcourse the ordinary VGA jack, "RCA" and "VR OUT". The last one is for some kind of virtual reality glasses I've never seen... (the graphics card is an ASUS GeForce 2 V7700 series, don't know the exact model.)
    No, I was not thinking of recording DVDs, but I thought I could connect it directly to the DVD-player to recieve a digital signal instead of an analog from the TV. Nevermind...
    So, if we forget about connecting like I thought was best... :p What cables and hardware to you need to capture from TV. I have a computer with sound- and graphics card, and I have a TV. What else do I need...?
    Thanks.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Any Capture you do with this Card will be analogue no matter if it is Comeing from a VCR or a DVD Player...If you want to Capture TV you will need something to Tune in the Chanells like a VCR or a Cable Box, Takeing the Signal Directly from your TV"s Output would not be the Cleanest Signal..So you should Hook your Cable up to your VCR or Cable Box and from these take the output from your TV/Cable Box to the Input on your Video Card, You Might need a RCA/Composite to S-Video Adapter, and for the Audio capture you would have to take the RCA/Composite Audio outputs from the VCR/Cable Box into your Sound cards "Line In" port for which you will Probably need another Adapter...For the Best Signal Quality you should Be useing the Strongest Clearest Signal Possible...You will also need Capture Software which you Might have gotten from your Video Card when you bought it ......If there is anything specific you need to know then Just ask....Cheers

5. ceja_11

ceja_11 Regular member

does any one know how to make a cable that goes from s-video, to a composite rca(yellow plug for vdeo), or can anyone direct me to a pge that will show you how to do it?

cheers...

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well You don"t make them you go to the Radio Shack and spend the $5 and buy one....It would be too difficult to build one because the S-Video has at least 5 wires and the RCA has at least 2 and to put them together so there is no signal loss is just not practical.....