1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

capturing tv show and burning to dvd

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by slawdawg, Sep 10, 2003.

1. slawdawg

slawdawg Guest

hello i have a hauppauge tv tuner and i have my direct tv run through the pc and can caputer tv shows in AVI format . i am real new to this i have been reading alot but it seems that there is no way of burning this to a dvd . or am i wrong i hope not or i have spent alot of money for nothing or per say the place i bought the stuff from told me it wasnt a problem . yea right . if anyone could respond to this or has a link to a good guied . it would be very helpful . thanks in advance

2. my_frog

my_frog Member

You have to convert or "render" to MPEG 2 to be able to burn to DVD to be played with a standalone DVD player. Most folks that have been playing with video editing recommend a program named TMPGEnc. Its free if you want to use it only to render MPEG1 files (for VCDs), after 30 days it looses it ability to convert to MPEG2. After that, I recommend buying the software, as it is a very good. If you have never rendered a file to MPEG2, you may be surprised to find that it takes several hours to convert, so be patient, and it may be a good practice to have it rendering while you are sleeping. If you need a tutorial for using it, use google to search for "TMPGEnc tutorial".

Once you have a MPEG2 file, you must use DVD authoring software to build the DVD format for burning onto disk. This will allow you to create menus that you usually see with commercial DVDs. Usually your DVD burner comes with software that will do this. Sonic MyDVD And Ulead also has good software for this.

I've been trying to figure all this out now for the past several months, and have been frustrated that there is not ONE good program that will do all of this for you, that doesn't cost $700. Pinnacle Studio 8 does a wonderful job capturing and editing, but is buggy and doesn't work well at creating DVDs. I bought Studio 8 deluxe, which has an analog/digital capture card. I'm currently waiting on a new update to see if it will fix the bugs.

Good luck to you, hope this helped.

Mark

3. slawdawg

slawdawg Guest

thanks frog for the reply
    i have made alittel headway sence i posted last
    i have sucessfuly captured and burned a movie
    well part of a movie . lol was testing . but now i have a new problem i can watch it in the pc but not in my dvd player??? i have DVDXcopy and when i burn dvd to dvd it will play in my dvd player???? do i have to format the dvd or somthing first . and by the way i used the same type of dvd media for doing both burns???? its got me stumped looks like if it would work on one it should work on the other? if you have any ideal on this please respond. and thanks for replying . im going to try out the converter you was talking about thanks again .