1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing Video from PVR with Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by The_Zone, Oct 13, 2008.

1. The_Zone

The_Zone Member

I have a Satellite PVR Box that records with Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound. I can capture the video with a video capturing device and can send the audio to SPDIF in connection on my sound card using an optical cable. My soundcard supports SPDIF passthrough.

Is anyone able to advise how I may record the programs from my Satellite PVR with the native Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, so that I can then burn the files to DVD.

Thanks,

The_Zone

2. ugc

ugc Regular member

you can not. You can only capture in stereo.

*like all things, there are "work-a-rounds", but you have to have a certain audio card with a modified driver and some old hard to use software that I could never get to work.

With that said. If you figure out an easy way to capture AC3 5.1, please let me know.

**my work-a-round**, I plug the optical AC3 cable into my stereo, and use the pre-amp outs for each channel (6 total), and capture each audio channel separately, as a wav file, with my M-audio 10 channel card. Then I can edit easily, and then convert the result into an AC3.

3. ugc

ugc Regular member

WOW! We might be in luck here....

Hauppauge just came out with a HD PVR and to my surprise, they have a driver they released that will allow you to capture AC3 5.1

check it out here:
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Latest reports are good. Many are saying they can, in fact, capture 5.1 DD.

Anyone have one of these? If you do, let us know your thoughts, and if it works as advertised.

***EDIT***

I went and bought one of these, and it DOES capture HD video and optical AC-3 5.1 very well. The picture looks great, and the audio sounds like a DVD. Needless to say, I am very happy. :)

I started a support thread on this here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/710870

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  4. Jorge Salas

Jorge Salas Member

I have a Hauppague PVR2 does not record 5.1 sound sometimes it shows capturing 5.1 signal but only for a moment then it vanishes to stereo any ideas?

5. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Take a look at post 4 in this thread-https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370028-Hauppauge-HDPVR-2-sound-issue

Does that answer your question.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The only reason it would identify 5.1 Sound and then flip down to stereo is if the signal quality is being degraded. Check your connections.